Leak in copper pipe

Headers

Leak in copper pipe

Post by Headers » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:08 pm

I heard a shushing noise. No taps on. Must be the VMC. Next time I went In the bathroom, there it was again. Hmm. Downstairs, all our water pipes are connected to the main inlet under the stairs. I opened the door. A fountain springing up out of the concrete floor. Luckily, each pipe has an on off tap so I turned everything off and worked my way through which one it was. Rang the plumber. He arrived in the afternoon. Hammer, chisel, gradually he worked his way along the pipework towards my sitting room tiled floor. Still couldn’t find the point of the leak. We stopped. The copper pipe passes along the side of the room, under the tiles and chappe and then halfway along goes upstairs to the bathroom. Luckily, my OH had marked where this is so knocking a hole in the wall wasn’t too much of a problem.
The proposal was to cut off the pipe as it starts to go up the wall, pull it out and replace with plastic pipe to the main connection. The copper pipe was riddled with holes all the way along. This had obviously been developing for a while. The plumber has suggested that we get the earthing on the house tested. That’s next weeks job. Waiting for the bill...........

Le Démerdeur

Re: Leak in copper pipe

Post by Le Démerdeur » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:20 pm

Sounds like the pipe is in gaine and the plumber managed to remove the vertical part, is that correct?

If so has he plugged the end and switched the vanne back on to make sure there are no leaks in the horizontal part?

I would replace all of it and would have expected any leaks to be in the horizontal part under the tiled floor, if its riddled with leaks it is copper pipe from a bad batch in a bad year where there were lots of inclusions, being in gaine it wont be an earthing problem causing the leaks but nonetheless you would want it all earthed so its worth checking, he probably saw that it wasnt earthed.

If its any comfort you have been doubly saved by the pipe being in gaine, the leak springing up in the services cupboard and not soaking the walls or the floor slab, secondly that it looks like you are going to be able to remove the copper pipe and push through PER, that is the aim of having gained services.

Headers

Post by Headers » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:32 pm

The plumber replaced the horizontal part. The vertical part is still copper shiny, no sign of water running down. It is still in the blue ribbed gaine. He made a long joint from a piece of copper pipe and joined the plastic pipe then sealed it all. We are not closing anything off until next week to make sure that there aren’t any more leaky pipes!

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:06 pm

A great result, might have been condensation then.

Similar leaks in a friends UK home some 5 years after a complete reconstruction meant they were in a hôtel and then rented accomodation for 6 months while all the floors were ripped up and may stud walls also, bad batch of copper, laid direct in the floor slab but wrapped with hemp as per the regs at that time.

Had it been in gaine then probably no leaks would have occurred but if they had replacement would have been a simple non destructive job like yours.
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post:
Headers (Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:10 pm)