Working as a plumber in France.

Max
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Working as a plumber in France.

Post by Max » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:17 pm

Is there a big difference in pay between construction work, maintenance and working for yourself? Yea I was in London last August and could not believe the number of cranes on the skyline.
Yea Im not exactly sure of that pipe but it sounds alot like we use for most gas supply, it's an aluminium core plastic coated pipe that's pretty realiable and really easy to use.

bluebird

Post by bluebird » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:34 pm

Max wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:17 pm
Is there a big difference in pay between construction work, maintenance and working for yourself? Yea I was in London last August and could not believe the number of cranes on the skyline.
Yea Im not exactly sure of that pipe but it sounds alot like we use for most gas supply, it's an aluminium core plastic coated pipe that's pretty realiable and really easy to use.
Plumbers in France are expensive, whether it's installation or repair / maintenance. Some quotes I have seen from firms are crazy, they can afford to turn down work, so if you don't like the price quoted, they don't care. So I guess the hourly rate is good. Doubt any self employed guys charge less than €200 a day (not many do more than 7 hrs day). Anyone willing to work proper hrs would do well.

Yes that's multicouche pipe, alu core plastic outer, but I don't think regs in France allow for gas use (I think they do in germany), just fliuds.
Some of the older guys use rigid pipe, but the price of copper in France is eye watering!

Spotty

Post by Spotty » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:32 am

PatF

Post by PatF » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:28 am

Another point - I think there's separate training for gas plumbing, as in the UK.
Many rural homes have propane gas and it needs a safety certificate.

alittlebitmorefrench

Post by alittlebitmorefrench » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:35 am

If you don't know France OP, or have a very good reason to move to France....don't move here.

It is not just about work. You have a young family. I would not bring a young family to France unless you are French.

Go to the UK !

Max

Post by Max » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:43 am

Well that's encouraging news! That's crazy about the hours worked, I don't know many guys that work less than 9-10 hours a day being self employed once they've done all the paperwork and whatnot at the end of the day. Im just so eager for a change of scenery and the cost of living is getting rediculous in australia. I mainly wanted to make sure if I went there I wasnt going to find it impossible to find work.

Max

Post by Max » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:48 am

That's the main reason we chose France! For a slower pace of life whilst still being close to the family in the Uk. I just want to make sure I can earn money. I want my children to be surrounded culture and different language growing up, unfortunately Australia is not the place for that!

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:13 am

Max wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:17 pm
The last time that many cranes where on the skyline was just before the construction crash and recession in the UK, it's not sustainable, that much construction can't continue.

IMO If you are not fluent in French don't consider working there, the bureaucracy of getting qualified will turn you grey, if your not already, at least you speak a type of English :lol: Go to the UK and almost start work immediately on a building site, and then look to go self employed after you have your feet back on the ground.
Sent from my laptop using all my fingers.

Crazy Diamond

Post by Crazy Diamond » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:25 am

Where we are (dept 85) good, qualified plumbers are always busy and finding an available one is usually a problem. Obviously having a good command of French is very important and like many others you will manage without this initially, but of course have to mainly rely on Brit clients (aren't many Oz or Kiwi ones hereabouts!). After a while you'll find your knowledge of French will improve and your client base will increase. One of the two expat plumbers we use came over knowing sod-all French, but now has no problem negotiating deals with suppliers and French clients.
I feel sure nowadays you can find out online a lot of what you need to know before taking such a major step, but I am certain if you do decide to take the plunge, providing you know you're stuff, you'll never be short of work. By the way, over here many plumbers offer chimney sweeping as an additional service - summat else to consider?
"Slower pace of life" - not sure that applies to the plumbers I know.
Syd.
In a world where You can be anything, be kind.

alittlebitmorefrench

Post by alittlebitmorefrench » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:38 am

Max wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:43 am
Well that's encouraging news! That's crazy about the hours worked, I don't know many guys that work less than 9-10 hours a day being self employed once they've done all the paperwork and whatnot at the end of the day. Im just so eager for a change of scenery and the cost of living is getting rediculous in australia. I mainly wanted to make sure if I went there I wasnt going to find it impossible to find work.
OP you have mentioned 'slower pace of life' and cost of living.

They are two myths.

France is ridiculously expensive in relation to wages. That is why plumbers and other tradesmen are so expensive in France. They need to eat as well.

Think about business tax as well. You are screwed in France.

'Slower pace of life'......noooooo. It is the opposite. Well, unless you are retired.

You have kids in France, you do not have a slow pace of life.

If I was a young French plumber, I would move to another country and then retire to France. Which a lot do.