UK towel radiator, will it fit French pipework

Annabelle's Papa

UK towel radiator, will it fit French pipework

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:40 pm

Hi
The towel radiator in a French bathroom is going rusty and I took the dimensions and just thought I would pick one up from Screwfix when back in the UK, then I had a thought today, will the pipework be the same size ? I seem to remember there were people selling adapted connections to switch from UK to French. Is that still the case, there is a massive price difference, £30 delivered in the UK and €139 at Leroy Merlin.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

b33jay

Re: UK towel radiator, will it fit French pipework

Post by b33jay » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:08 pm

Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:40 pm
Hi
The towel radiator in a French bathroom is going rusty and I took the dimensions and just thought I would pick one up from Screwfix when back in the UK, then I had a thought today, will the pipework be the same size ? I seem to remember there were people selling adapted connections to switch from UK to French. Is that still the case, there is a massive price difference, £30 delivered in the UK and €139 at Leroy Merlin.
Do BricoDepot sell it as they are part of the same group as Screwfix? Blyss brand towel rails seems available across both stores.
These users thanked the author b33jay for the post:
Annabelle's Papa (Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:33 pm)
Rating: 11.11%

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:15 pm

What fittings does it have, threaded or compression fittings?

The former will be compatible, the latter will be 15mm and will require an adaptor or change of olive but will probably unscrew revealing a threaded fixing which will be compatible.
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post:

michael86

Post by michael86 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi Annabelle's Papa,

The UK towel rail will be fine as it will have 1/2 inch threads to take the valves. However, you will either have to re-use your existing valves or buy new valves in France. UK valves will be 1/2 inch thread to go into the towel rail, but usually 15mm compression fitting for the inlet and outlet pipes. French valves will be 1/2 inch thread to go into the towel rail and usually 1/2 inch female threads for the inlet and outlet pipes. You then use an adaptor, 1/2 inch to 14mm, 16mm or whatever your pipe size.

I used all UK radiators in my house but bought all the radiator valves in France.

Michael
These users thanked the author michael86 for the post:

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:32 pm

Thanks all !

It was a Blyss brand that I have found (not Screwfix as they didn't have the right size), we have a very good but expensive local plumbers merchant type place near us in Brittany, I will take some photos and measurements and go and see them when I am next there. :good: :good:
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley