Powerfix emulsion paint.

Le Démerdeur

Re: Powerfix emulsion paint.

Post by Le Démerdeur » Wed May 15, 2019 11:16 am

Evidently aint?

Nobody has tried it yet, if its the same Baufix paint as previously sold by Lidl and Aldi then its superb and has no equal.

As for the coverage I never believe any of the figures, once one starts making them up then they all follow and up the ante, the Baufix paint has the best coverage that I have ever used and one coat over red ignifuge placo is enough for complete obliteration, 70m2 actually sounds like a huge amount to me, thin watery paints will need multiple coats so its rather irrelevant just how many meters they could cover spread so thin as to be opaque in laboratory conditions.

If you recognise the labelling, the composants and the made in Germany with TUV markings etc it will probably be the same Baufix paint.
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post:
Aardvark (Thu May 16, 2019 5:09 pm)
Rating: 11.11%

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Wed May 15, 2019 11:20 am

Crazy Diamond wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:03 am
[

I've got the leftovers of 5 litres of Mr. Bricolage's Inventiv monocouche matt white (which was excellent) has coverage stated at 50m².
The equally excellent Inventiv orange satin says 2.5 litres does 30m².
I don't fall for the cheap shit anymore as it's always turned out to be cheap shit :D
Hallelujah, an actual reply - thanks for that. Take your point re you get what you pay for, but just occasionally there are bargains out there, however Powerfix evidently emulsion ain't one of them.

Syd.
[/quote]

You had 3 replies to your question about Lidl paint, 4 with my subsequent one.

Or did you not want to know about it at all and wanted a recommendation for another paint?

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed May 15, 2019 11:28 am

https://www.seigneuriegauthier.com/

:good: Extremely expensive but his French company produces the best white emulsion paint I've ever used, either here or in the UK.
Candy is dandy
But liquor is quicker

Spotty

Post by Spotty » Wed May 15, 2019 7:32 pm

Crazy Diamond wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:03 am
Spotty wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:17 am
Crazy Diamond wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:42 pm
Our local Lidl will be selling 10 litre tubs of white Powerfix emulsion paint for 13.99 euros on Thursday and I would be interested to hear if it’s any good from anyone who has actually used it. Is this another German manufactured product on sale at Lidl? On the leaflet it gives a coverage of 70 square metres, which doesn’t seem much for 10lts. Is it any good, or would I be better buying another emulsion? If so, which one?
Syd.

I've got the leftovers of 5 litres of Mr. Bricolage's Inventiv monocouche matt white (which was excellent) has coverage stated at 50m².
The equally excellent Inventiv orange satin says 2.5 litres does 30m².
I don't fall for the cheap shit anymore as it's always turned out to be cheap shit :D
Hallelujah, an actual reply - thanks for that. Take your point re you get what you pay for, but just occasionally there are bargains out there, however Powerfix evidently emulsion ain't one of them. "Inventiv monocouche" - does that mean it really covers in one coat? I was under the impression one coat anything was a marketing myth for the gullible.

Syd.
Yo Syd !
Yes the monocouche in both matt white & satin orange monocouched perfectly but I did two anyway coz I'm like that :)

Muchos grassyarse for the telly gen. too :good:

Crazy Diamond

Post by Crazy Diamond » Thu May 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:16 am
Evidently aint?

Nobody has tried it yet, if its the same Baufix paint as previously sold by Lidl and Aldi then its superb and has no equal.

As for the coverage I never believe any of the figures, once one starts making them up then they all follow and up the ante, the Baufix paint has the best coverage that I have ever used and one coat over red ignifuge placo is enough for complete obliteration, 70m2 actually sounds like a huge amount to me, thin watery paints will need multiple coats so its rather irrelevant just how many meters they could cover spread so thin as to be opaque in laboratory conditions.

If you recognise the labelling, the composants and the made in Germany with TUV markings etc it will probably be the same Baufix paint.
I was a bit remiss not ackonowledging all the replies - my apologies.

Both Spider and Alittlebitmorfrench say they have tried it, albeit with different results. A coverage of 70² for ten litres is piss poor, perhaps that's an indication of the quality of the paint. Brit manufacurers of quality emulsion quote around 15²/litre which I have found to be accurate whenever I have used it and two coats have been sufficient and produced the desired result.

Syd.
Sometimes a majority just means all the wrong people are on the same side.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Thu May 16, 2019 12:56 pm

Its superb quality and everyone who has used it will say so with the exception of the oracle that knows everything about renovation who was unfortunate to have bought some of a dodgy batch that had micro_billes in the mixture, I had some of that batch also and they all came off with one pass of a plastic wallpaper spreader (couteau à maroufler).

Give it a try unless you are determined to condemn it without a fair trial.

P.S.

if you are painting over an existing painted surface and not bare unsealed placo then if you have good eyesight and lighting so as not to miss any bits you will do the job in one coat making it an effective coverage 33% more than 2 coats of the paint you are comparing it to.

I use a sous couche de placo which is like diluted PVA and then one coat of Lidl paint over bare placo.

Ally

Post by Ally » Thu May 16, 2019 1:17 pm

14 euros Syd. Buy it and try it. If it's good, good. If not, use as an undercoat or stick some water in it and brighten up the inside of your barn, shed, loft, whatever. Or give to your neighbour. At least then you'll have an opinion you can trust. Your own.
These users thanked the author Ally for the post:
alittlebitmorefrench (Thu May 16, 2019 4:32 pm)
Rating: 11.11%
Never in the history o' calming doon has a Scottish person being telt tae calm doon, ever calmed doon.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Thu May 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Wise words. :good:

a warning Syd, if you find it as good as I do then you will be doomed to be looking on the shelves or in the publicité for when it comes again and end up stocking the stuff just in case.

I did have one pot of it that was left a couple of years after being partially used that turned sulfurous with a rotten egg smell, seemingly can happen to a lot of modern paints, yet several others have been stored longer after opening without a problem, the paint still can be used and the smell will eventually go away, i used it under the stairs but the meter reader reported it as a gas leak and the technician disconnected the mains after supposedly testing but there was no leak (had it tested by a registered gas fitter with his manometre) just the smelly paint.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Thu May 16, 2019 2:24 pm

I saw someone with a trailer load of it this morning. He obviously expected it to be good.

chrisell

Post by chrisell » Thu May 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:56 pm
Its superb quality and everyone who has used it will say so with the exception of the oracle that knows everything about renovation who was unfortunate to have bought some of a dodgy batch that had micro_billes in the mixture, I had some of that batch also and they all came off with one pass of a plastic wallpaper spreader (couteau à maroufler).

Give it a try unless you are determined to condemn it without a fair trial.

P.S.

if you are painting over an existing painted surface and not bare unsealed placo then if you have good eyesight and lighting so as not to miss any bits you will do the job in one coat making it an effective coverage 33% more than 2 coats of the paint you are comparing it to.

I use a sous couche de placo which is like diluted PVA and then one coat of Lidl paint over bare placo.
I'd have to agree with LD - I buy it direct from Baufix by the pallet load. The stated coverage is a bit OTT (but I slap it on) but the one coat really is one coat at least it covers everything - I personally think the one coat is a bit "flat/matt" as a final finish so I do base layers in the one coat and final ceiling coat in the normal white paint.

One tub easily did a kitchen - two coats walls and ceilings - 16 sq metre room - 3 metre walls