The scam that is FREE insulation.

just a Frenchie

Re: The scam that is FREE insulation.

Post by just a Frenchie » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:04 pm

Le-Dolly wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:07 pm
our roof spaces (rampants de toit) were done in 175mm foil (R=6 NF EN 16012), all taped and sealed. The cellars & the garages were done in 80 & 100mm XPS polystyrene.
I understand better how they managed to do that in 32 man.hours... According to the current prices for materials and the hour rate these guys must get, this invoice of 6793 € looks very overinvoiced ! No surprise why we have so many phone calls every day for similar offers !
Knowing the French system, I'm sure that nobody will ever check if the invoices are realistic before paying...
My ex-wife also had her attics insulated thanks to this offer. Nobody checked if it was sensible to do it: I already had insulated these attics with 32 centimeters of fiber glass a couple of years ago !!!
As François Hollande used to say: 'no worry, the state pays for it'.
I'm pleased that you took advantage of this offer. But my common sense can't help thinking that this type of offer is not fair in a country which :
- has not enough money for improving the health system, the vehicles of the police, pay decent pensions to some people, etc...
- has a national debt of 2500 billions euros (35000 per person)
It has already been said here that the taxpayer will pay for that... In fact, it will mainly add to our national debt on which we pay interests yearly: at the moment, the overall income tax is not enough for paying these interests !
These insulation works don't require high qualification. France pays a lot of benefits to unemployed people and we import workers from Moldavia !
My last thought is that they insulated your garage with polystyren which is highly flammable. According to our safety regulations, it should be covered by non-flammable stuff. Mind your insurance policy !
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

Le-Dolly

Post by Le-Dolly » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:38 am

just a Frenchie wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:04 pm
Le-Dolly wrote:
our roof spaces (rampants de toit) were done in 175mm foil (R=6 NF EN 16012), all taped and sealed. The cellars & the garages were done in 80 & 100mm XPS polystyrene.
I understand better how they managed to do that in 32 man.hours... According to the current prices for materials and the hour rate these guys must get, this invoice of 6793 € looks very overinvoiced ! No surprise why we have so many phone calls every day for similar offers !
Knowing the French system, I'm sure that nobody will ever check if the invoices are realistic before paying...
My ex-wife also had her attics insulated thanks to this offer. Nobody checked if it was sensible to do it: I already had insulated these attics with 32 centimeters of fiber glass a couple of years ago !!!
As François Hollande used to say: 'no worry, the state pays for it'.
I'm pleased that you took advantage of this offer. But my common sense can't help thinking that this type of offer is not fair in a country which :
- has not enough money for improving the health system, the vehicles of the police, pay decent pensions to some people, etc...
- has a national debt of 2500 billions euros (35000 per person)
It has already been said here that the taxpayer will pay for that... In fact, it will mainly add to our national debt on which we pay interests yearly: at the moment, the overall income tax is not enough for paying these interests !
These insulation works don't require high qualification. France pays a lot of benefits to unemployed people and we import workers from Moldavia !
My last thought is that they insulated your garage with polystyren which is highly flammable. According to our safety regulations, it should be covered by non-flammable stuff. Mind your insurance policy !

This polystyren complies with XPS Product Standard EN 13164* and comply with fire performance Euroclass E to EN13501-1 .
These users thanked the author Le-Dolly for the post:
just a Frenchie (Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:25 am)
Le-Dolly ( . )( . ) www.pink-electrique.fr

just a Frenchie

Post by just a Frenchie » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:52 am

Le-Dolly wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:38 am
just a Frenchie wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:04 pm
Le-Dolly wrote:

This polystyren complies with XPS Product Standard EN 13164* and comply with fire performance Euroclass E to EN13501-1 .
A quick look on the internet shows:
téléchargement.jpg
Then, the category E of Euroclass EN13501-1 is the equivalent of M4 in:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classemen ... nce_au_feu
Which means highly flammable !
I'm always concerned with polysterene in buildings as I remember well this terrible fire in a night club in 1970 which killed 146 persons :
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incendie_du_5-7
I admit that norms are generally quite obscure. The only fact of seing a label on a paquet doesn't mean that it's safe ! You have to dig a little in the norm to know the details...
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

Mrs Archy

Post by Mrs Archy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:18 am

This year we have finally managed to remove every polystyrene tile from every ceiling in the house. It taken what seems forever to remove them and then make good the plaster ceiling and repaint. I vaguely remember in the 60s in the UK there was some problem with house fires where ceilings covered in these tiles were melting and dripping in the heat and also some had put polystyrene lining on the walls before wallpapering which caused a problem but that was a long time ago and I guess there wasn't the same fire regulations.
You can't download vinyl

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:00 am

The current fire regulations are just as ambiguous, they allowed a manufacturer to make a flammable external cladding and the Architect to specify it on a high rise building in London, why the Architect or the Local Authority (Building Control) have not been prosecuted I don't understand.