stone look render

SP1DER

stone look render

Post by SP1DER » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:18 am

I have a couple of windows that have been installed without the stone work around them being finished. I intend using a mix of chaux blanche (such as Tradifarge) , cement and red sand to approximate the colour of the stone around the windows. I saw someone do this a long time ago and it looked OK, I believe the cement was to add strength. My question is what mix do I use (quantities) and should I use white cement or is cement in the mix even necessary? Any help would be appreciated.

There is a similar effect here but for a stone look wall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QbQ5GzHz0Q

Mike

Re: stone look render

Post by Mike » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Google for "Broken stone (Shutters)" it shows the work I did when I needed to make good some window surrounds.

This is what I used: https://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produit ... -kg-e41742
Last edited by Mike on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:11 pm

The church in my village is finished in stone render together with false joints, its not unattractive.

I think using white cement will aid you in the mixing of the colours to get the hue you want, its effectively neutral compared to grey which will tend to corrupt the colour you are aiming for.

mysty

Post by mysty » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:23 pm

SP1DER wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:18 am
I have a couple of windows that have been installed without the stone work around them being finished. I intend using a mix of chaux blanche (such as Tradifarge) , cement and red sand to approximate the colour of the stone around the windows. I saw someone do this a long time ago and it looked OK, I believe the cement was to add strength. My question is what mix do I use (quantities) and should I use white cement or is cement in the mix even necessary? Any help would be appreciated.

There is a similar effect here but for a stone look wall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QbQ5GzHz0Q

Tradifarge exterior has cement in it.
I find if you build a bit of framework out of any small bits of wood you have around It helps get the shape of the stone surround you want, as it goes off remove the wood work and with a damp sponge finish it off as you want it.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

SP1DER

Post by SP1DER » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Thanks all, I'll give it a go with Tradifarge and red sand. I tried the mix today and the colour looks about right just have to get it in the right place!

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:59 pm

Thanks all, I'll give it a go with Tradifarge and red sand. I tried the mix today and the colour looks about right just have to get it in the right place!
;) Just a thought... If you haven't experimented already your mix might become a lighter colour when it dries. You could try to dampen the existing stone work, if it will absorb water, to see whether your mix then matches.
Candy is dandy
But liquor is quicker

bluebird

Post by bluebird » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:39 pm

Mike wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:07 pm
Google for "Broken stone (Shutters)" it shows the work I did when I needed to make good some window surrounds.

This is what I used: https://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produit ... -kg-e41742
:good: I need to fix some broken stones and wasn't sure what the French were using. Does is set rapidly ?

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:26 am

It does not set rapidly, but is sufficiently sticky to stay put whilst it sets.

Pic shows it whilst still wet, matched better after it set.
Stone 2.jpg
Stone.jpg