English plaster

bluebird

Re: English plaster

Post by bluebird » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:21 pm

Thanks for the tips Mike & albmf, very helpful. I do have a few tubes of decorators flexible filler from a UK diy store, might be worth a try with that?

In the UK, I have used coving Le Demerdeur. Decent quality stuff which I have not seen in France, and if it is available here I guess it will be at least twice the price.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:13 pm

In the UK, I have used coving Le Demerdeur. Decent quality stuff which I have not seen in France, and if it is available here I guess it will be at least twice the price.
:cry: Coving and ceiling roses are available here but they are excedingly expensive and probably as a result of that, the choice is very limited.
These users thanked the author Tom for the post:
bluebird (Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:17 pm)
Rating: 11.11%
Candy is dandy
But liquor is quicker

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:22 pm

Yes its silly money here, I have just given away the last of my remaining stock, I only used one length for the join between a ceiling and a chimney breast that I had rendered.

Painters mate looks the part and I have used it on cracks etc on existing ceilings but never tried it instead of a taped joint.

I will have to redo once again the kitchen ceiling in my UK house, tenants always flood the bathroom above, let us know how you get on as I would rather not have to joint the edges yet again.

mysty

Post by mysty » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:20 pm

I have used the polystyrene coving which is very cheap here. You can put it up with madtic with the odd panel pin to stop it moving.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:28 pm

The stuff I used years back was plaster coving with a paper covering, I have seen polystyrene coving but the surface finish looked wrong when painted, the stuff I brought over in the last decade was polystyrene with the same paper covering as plasterboard which was the best and easiest to use.

I do find it ringard though these days, it shows that you are very old when things you once liked you finally accept are old fashioned.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:31 am

Back in the days at Brixton School of Building we where taught how to make plaster covings, one day it may be useful.
Sent from my laptop using all my fingers.

mysty

Post by mysty » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:45 am

You could earn a fortune now doing that
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:12 am

Already earn't my fortune now fully and I do mean fully retired and living how I wish, but making plaster coving's is not difficult, I remember even doing it in-situ on one occasion, but that was on my day release days, training to be a "Structural Engineer" was a lot different back then, you where expected to know how to do all of the different trades, stood me in good stead over the years.

bluebird

Post by bluebird » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:49 pm

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:22 pm
Yes its silly money here, I have just given away the last of my remaining stock, I only used one length for the join between a ceiling and a chimney breast that I had rendered.

Painters mate looks the part and I have used it on cracks etc on existing ceilings but never tried it instead of a taped joint.

I will have to redo once again the kitchen ceiling in my UK house, tenants always flood the bathroom above, let us know how you get on as I would rather not have to joint the edges yet again.
Sounds familiar, I had a call from tenants a couple of years back, complaining that the kitchen ceiling was coming down. They conveniently didn't make the connection between their regular flooding of the bathroom and the ceiling below.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:26 pm

Always keep this in mind:
I-Have-No-Idea-What-Im-Doing-9.jpg
I-Have-No-Idea-What-Im-Doing-9.jpg (8.77 KiB) Viewed 46 times