Loose hinge

chris le bricoleur

Re: Loose hinge

Post by chris le bricoleur » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:28 pm
... and prise the whole hinge assembly off the wall so you can bench it.
That's the method I would prefer too, since the alignment is never good if you just 'glue' the wall plug into the old hole.
Fill the holes with cement and drill new holes for the wallplugs, preferably using a mold made to measure.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:37 pm

They will come apart, think logically how they put them in place, if they are screwed in with rawlplugs, its the same system on old furniture, there is not a lot of engagement on the hinge pins and they can be cranked sideways (top and bottom hinge) in opposite directions until one pops out, as you have a loose one it will be even easier.

Reverse for assembly.

The later ones that have the screw in parts both sides have a sort of keyhole lift off slot that the pins sit it.

It was put together it will cme apart, look closely, I had the same problem on one of my old antique pieces of furniture, with some tentative easing which was quite frightening it came apart, now I have no fear.

jollyjack
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by jollyjack » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Sorry about the delay, folks - for some reason I wasn't notified about new replies.

At the moment, my friend is applying WD40 (not the ordinary stuff but a special releasant version) 2 or 3 times a day. I'll give it a day or two, then try to dismantle. If that fails, I'll buy a small blowlamp and try heat. (I can always use it later for creme brulee.)

If THAT fails, it's going to have to be brute force, but I'd rather I didn't have to....

Cheers

Ally

Post by Ally » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:30 pm

If you have a soldering iron apply the tip to the screw for a couple of minutes then try tightening it slightly before unscrewing.
Switch the soldering iron on first. 👍
Never in the history o' calming doon has a Scottish person being telt tae calm doon, ever calmed doon.

jollyjack

Post by jollyjack » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Weird!

I've just had a go at the bottom finial with molegrips and gas pliers. It turned! Here we go, I thought. Hah! All it does is turn - it does not unscrew. There's now a 1/2mm gap between it and the screw eye, and that's it. Looks like my guess of how it was put together was wrong.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:20 pm

Fascinating puzzle, Jack!

Looking at the dimensions, I think your theory that (at least the bottom) finial screws in must be right - unless it was soldered in, which seems unlikely, or could be prised out. Might there be a detente (sorry, that's probably not the right word) into which teh finial is plugged?

Enjoy the creme brulee, anyway!
Same old nonsense.

jollyjack

Post by jollyjack » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:13 pm

Well, I think I know now.

I went back with more tools and with the aid of a large screwdriver, I was able to move the bottom finial another mm. It's an interference fit - the whole hinge was never designed to be dismantled.

The way I think it was fitted, you drilled two holes (maybe 1cm) in the wall, filled them with adhesive (MAP?), then just pushed the screweyes into them. Waited till it all set, screwed on the door, and that's it.

So, plan B is to drill around the bottom screweye to weaken the bond then, with a couple of bolsters or similar, try and lever it out. I can't use too much force, the wall is made from carreaux de platre, and so not very strong. After that, maybe re-fit using the original method, or try surface mounted butt hinges. On verra.

Cheers