Any raw food dog feeders?

Keeping dogs, cats and all other pets in France
manonthemoon

Any raw food dog feeders?

Post by manonthemoon » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:19 pm

We are considering trying our 2 dogs out on a raw food diet. From research I understand it should be chicken/Turkey to start with.

They already eat raw veg as treats and love it.

If anyone has any experience of raw feeding please could I ask how the transition went (from dog food to raw)?

Pros and cons?

Also does anyone know of any suppliers?

I've asked our vet but she doesn't recommend it and gave me a list of reasons why. Could it be that they would lose revenue as we wouldn't be buying the highly priced food they sell?

Just interested to know what people think.

Spotty

Re: Any raw food dog feeders?

Post by Spotty » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:27 pm

Friends of ours run two Leonbergers on nothing but raw meat & they always look tip top.
These users thanked the author Spotty for the post:
manonthemoon (Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:37 pm)
Rating: 11.11%

PatF

Post by PatF » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:46 pm

Our border collie always ate raw food. I used to buy bargain packs of chicken legs and wings from the supermarket. Also meat bones when they were available from the boucherie.
People say you shouldn't give dogs chicken bones, but it never did her any harm.
We gave her biscuits as well, but she much preferred raw meat. She lived to 15yrs. I still miss her. :(
These users thanked the author PatF for the post:
manonthemoon (Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:37 pm)
Rating: 11.11%

F Flinstone
Has thanked: 0

Post by F Flinstone » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:41 am

When we had our Borzois, they were fed on raw meat, horse, and beef, but we always cooked the chicken for them, and never raw chicken bones, cooked chicken bones are Ok, as the cooking process makes them softer, raw ones are very brittle and can splinter inside the dog :( and cause problems, obviously raw bones are excellent for them, full cows femur, for ours.

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:49 am

F Flinstone wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:41 am
When we had our Borzois, they were fed on raw meat, horse, and beef, but we always cooked the chicken for them, and never raw chicken bones, cooked chicken bones are Ok, as the cooking process makes them softer, raw ones are very brittle and can splinter inside the dog :( and cause problems, obviously raw bones are excellent for them, full cows femur, for ours.
But where did you buy or order from please? I just don't know what to start them with although I think it should just be chicken or turkey for a couple of weeks.

Dilly

Post by Dilly » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:47 pm

Here's an example of a meal including raw meat, recommended for our 30kg labX's daily ration:
350g minced beef, chicken or turkey (raw)
100g well cooked rice
100g well cooked green beans
50g mashed banana
chopped chicken liver
a couple of tablespoons of rapeseed oil (huile de colza)

Once or twice a week we add a plain yoghurt or a fresh egg and he has a marrow bone or two per week.

F Flinstone
Has thanked: 0

Post by F Flinstone » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:12 pm

manonthemoon wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:49 am
F Flinstone wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:41 am
But where did you buy or order from please? I just don't know what to start them with although I think it should just be chicken or turkey for a couple of weeks.
A friend owned an abattoir :? rang us up when they had any old nags coming in, the meat was sprayed green to stop it getting into the human food chain, pity it didnt happen a few years back in the Uk :) So if you have one nearby, it may be worth a visit, but bear in mind the French, and ourselves dont mind a bit of Shergar :roll: so it may not be sold as pet food. We had a separate fridge for it, so it kept for a few weeks, the riper it got the more they loved it :mrgreen:

PatF

Post by PatF » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:32 pm

There's a stall selling horsemeat in Mirande market. It was always busy. So maybe try your local market.

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:35 pm

Thanks all.

I tried the butcher at our local Carrefour but I think I asked for the wrong thing.

I asked for viande, oss, offal, poule, "offcuts" for le chien. She happily went away and got a barquette ready for me. It's full of what looks like chicken breast and other bits that I'm not sure. It was priced up at €5.12 for 1.5 kilo. It doesn't look like all the scraps that I thought I was asking for, but I suppose it wasn't too expensive as a one off.

What is the French term for Meat, poultry offcuts please