Pet travel with or without Brexit deal, update...

Keeping dogs, cats and all other pets in France
Annabelle's Papa

Pet travel with or without Brexit deal, update...

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:59 pm

Hi All,
Found this yesterday on the government website posted in late December, apologies if it has been posted already but thought it takes a bit of the scaremongering out of the situation and if I have repeated another post.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rexit-deal

It all seems very reasonable and hopefully a practical solution will be sorted. The Civil Servants working behind the scenes from all countries want the whole thing sorted, it is the politicians from all sides with self promotion/preservation (from all countries) who are causing all the headlines but it seems most has been sorted behind the scenes.

Fingers crossed emoji-> ;-)
These users thanked the author Annabelle's Papa for the post:
Stompie (Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:36 pm)
Rating: 11.11%
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Stompie

Re: Pet travel with or without Brexit deal, update...

Post by Stompie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:36 pm

That sounds so much more practical and sensible than the first information that was released.
Thanks for posting!

exile

Post by exile » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:15 pm

Just one thought on this.
It seems to assume that a VO in the UK will still be able to issue an EU passport*. I have no idea if this is the case or not, but it seems to be an unanswered point in the very positive view.

* and if so, could the UK passport authority continue to issue us humans with EU passports please?

cfb
Been thanked: 0

Post by cfb » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:42 pm

Our new dog had the rabies vaccination (three year duration) in March 2018 issued with pet passport etc all ok.
After three enjoyable trips to France and back during the year we thought after hearing all the +/- Brexit fantasy stories we should contact the VO and were advised to have a precautionary antibody blood test. Two weeks after the test in December we were informed there were no rabies antibodies ie the original vaccination was not effective. As there have been a number of other failed antibody tests this is not a one off and it would appear that the original vaccinations were useless.
We now have to have a repeat vaccination, wait 30 days for another blood test and then if this is successful wait 3 months before travel.
Thus having to put back our travel dates.
A precautionary event for those who have had rabies vaccinations and pet passports issued but no blood test.
It would appear that quality control by the manufacturers, DEFRA and veterinary suppliers is not as thorough as one would imagine.

exile

Post by exile » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:11 pm

And thereby hangs a small flaw.
Give a dog a good rabies vaccination and they will show positive.
If a dog actaully has rabies they will show positive.

Hexenbeest

Post by Hexenbeest » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:56 am

Thanks for the information Annabelle's Papa.

The information given is for going from the UK to the EU but what about EU to UK? Or did I miss it?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:57 am

exile wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:15 pm
Just one thought on this.
It seems to assume that a VO in the UK will still be able to issue an EU passport*. I have no idea if this is the case or not, but it seems to be an unanswered point in the very positive view.

* and if so, could the UK passport authority continue to issue us humans with EU passports please?
Exile, our dog has his passport renewed in France, fraction of the price €12'ish, we incorporate it into the 'consultation' at the vets prior to travelling to the UK and it is done there and then.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley