WiFi for holiday home owners.

Television, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles
Annabelle's Papa

WiFi for holiday home owners.

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Wed May 22, 2019 10:35 am

This may be of interest to holiday home owners- Three mobile offer a sim router at £22 per month for unlimited data in the UK (2 year contract), so basically removing the need for a fixed land line and broadband, the router can connect up to 32 devices and you can be a mobile hotspot in your car with a usb cable connected to the lighter socket.

Travel with it to France plug it in and you have access to 19gb per month, they have a fair usage policy so you just could not use it in France, it is for use in the UK predominately (not quite sure the rules on that). In France you can top it up with Three mobile Pay As You Go cards (bought before hand in the UK) but 19gb is easily sufficient for us as we are not downloading movies etc.

I have ordered a router and it arrives today, I will set it up immediately and get using it here in the UK, we travel to France on Sunday for a week and we have a 14 day "cooling off" period, so have time to reject it if it doesn't live up to advertising.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices ... lour=Black

Fingers crossed as it could save me a bundle of cash !
These users thanked the author Annabelle's Papa for the post:
Flaneur (Wed May 22, 2019 7:28 pm)
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Flaneur

Re: WiFi for holiday home owners.

Post by Flaneur » Wed May 22, 2019 7:31 pm

I've had a Huawei 4G Mifi for a few years now. It works well (I imagine your device will be bigger than mine, at about 5cm*3cm) on 3.

And that looks a good deal. I imagine you'll be turning off automatic updates etc on the devices you'll connect :?
Same old nonsense.

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Thu May 23, 2019 8:40 am

Flaneur-
And that looks a good deal. I imagine you'll be turning off automatic updates etc on the devices you'll connect :?
[/quote]

Absolutely ! :lol:

It arrived and set up was quick, you forget how many devices are set up to the old router and are just purring away in the background, it boasts that up to 32 devices can be connected, that seems like a high number but just in our house, we are up to 12 already, daughters Alexa dot alarm in her bedroom would not switch off this morning as we had not set that up, very amusing to hear her shouting at it half asleep !

The guy I spoke to at Three Mobile also said that you could have a mobile router and just use their pay as you go sim top ups for France, so maybe there is this service available in France.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Squinch

Post by Squinch » Thu May 23, 2019 1:56 pm

I will be interested to know how it performs in France. I am with three on my mobile which won't let me use tethering in France and also defaults to a 3g connection even when 4g is available. Neither is a major problem for me at the price I pay (£8.99 pm for 4Gb) I just find it mildly irritating.

b33jay

Post by b33jay » Thu May 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Squinch wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:56 pm
I will be interested to know how it performs in France. I am with three on my mobile which won't let me use tethering in France and also defaults to a 3g connection even when 4g is available. Neither is a major problem for me at the price I pay (£8.99 pm for 4Gb) I just find it mildly irritating.
Three lifted the tethering restriction on mobiles.

Three will default to 3G if the French partner service provider has no 4G service at the location or is on another frequency for LTE.
These users thanked the author b33jay for the post:
Squinch (Mon May 27, 2019 9:21 am)

Debra

Post by Debra » Fri May 24, 2019 9:09 am

When I go up to my place in Normandy I use a 4g router and put my free SIM card in it. I have a freebox at home (10€ a month for the first year) so I get the free mobile which is normally 20€ a month with 100gb of data for 16€ and unlimited data. I was going to leave the router up there but I brought it back with me and usually end up connected to that at home because it's so much of a better connection than the ADSL line. Rather than keep switching out the SIM to my phone I got an extra 2€ a month line to use in my phone (I don't use data on that). My son has the 20€ a month card at 16€ with unlimited data too (attached to my account) and it's quite handy for him because the ADSL at his student apartment in La Rochelle is quite slow so he uses his phone as a hotspot instead.

If it wasn't for having two sons who are heavy data users, I'd just have the 20€ a month free SIM card with 100gb of data and use it for both houses because that would be enough for me alone.

Squinch

Post by Squinch » Mon May 27, 2019 9:34 am

b33jay wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Three lifted the tethering restriction on mobiles.
I can't believe it, I never thought to check again after it was blocked several years ago. Many thanks b33jay for pointing out the change to the tethering restrictions. I connected the laptop via the mobile and bingo! The mobile signal has recently improved here so happy days.
Downside was I used over 2Gb in about an hour with all the updates.
Thanks again b33jay. :D :good:

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur » Fri May 31, 2019 2:53 pm

Last year I bought a Huawei B315s router and - special offer - a Bouygues sim-only, 20 Gb data, unlimited phone (in France) for 4.99 euro per month. Data usage in other EU countries limited to 2 Gb. With our DECT phone connected no need anymore for our noisy téléphone fixe and a very slow re-adsl connection with it's many disconnects and other problems. Includes also 4 ethernet ports / usb / phone. Fast and reliable 4G connection, crystal clear audio. In the last days of our expiring Orange adsl abonnement my son, over for a week, tried to download a massive file (work continues even during holidays....) of about 15 Gb. With the Orange livebox and about 7 km of copper wring the software at the receiving end mentioned that it would take almost seven days to complete the download. After several days Orange pulled the plug, 10 Gb to go. My brandnew 4G router to the rescue: after about two hours the download was completed. No optical fiber speeds, but much, much faster than re-adsl far away in the countryside. Only problem: smartphones are hungry as soon as they spot a wi-fi network. So 20 Gb is just enough, 100 Gb of data per month would be more convenient.
These users thanked the author RobertArthur for the post:
Annabelle's Papa (Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:13 pm)

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:19 am

Just returned from France, used the sim router, worked really well, easy to install, switched our orange router off, used for a day and a half and was told we had used up our allowance, it was supposed to be 19gb, daughter did surf youtube for a couple of hours but no way did we use 19gb, unless when it is on it is burning up gbs whilst in stand by mode !

Not sure if we are going to use the 14 day cooling off period to send it back, it is cheaper than our EE home contract, £21 a month unlimited data usage in the UK, we could take it with us to France and use it sparingly. We will save £8 a month in UK and losing Orange in France €30 a month, we just have to modify our usage in France.

At our holiday rental, we are now looking at the Free mobile French sim (as recommended by others) and a sim router that we can top up from our laptop.

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:07 pm

@ Annabelle's Papa: don't underestimate clever tricks as "adaptive" speed adjustments when looking at video content: the faster your access, the more data they're pushing down the pipeline. See this information about YouTube and adaptive streaming. And you better switch off WiFi on all smartphones and/or silence the too many apps searching relentlessly for new information out there on the World Wide Web. Stop automatic uploading of photo's to Google etc. Helps, adaptive surf behaviour also. Bill Gates & others: what about the almost unstoppable massive Windows 10 updates.....