Update to Windows 10

Television, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles
Post Reply
User avatar
Flaneur
Posts: 462
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:37 pm
Has thanked: 194 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Update to Windows 10

Post by Flaneur » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:27 pm

I know lots of us (pretend to) hate W10, but for anyone who is still running one of the earlier versions, it seems the free upgrade is still available: https://www.howtogeek.com/266072/you-ca ... r-8.1-key/

Cue the "OSX/Win 7/Linux/Unix/Android/Chrome is better" posts ... :lol:
Same old nonsense.

User avatar
Aardvark
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:08 pm
Has thanked: 1587 times
Been thanked: 469 times

Re: Update to Windows 10

Post by Aardvark » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Let's see now. The OS that Microsoft was ramming down our throats against our will, that required many people to upgrade their hardware to run it, and to replace software that had been serving them well previously, that wastes our bandwidth by sending reports of whatever we do on our PCs back to HQ and forcefully updated hundreds of business computers without notice or chance of stopping............................is now on offer for free to those who have happily avoided it ? Those who have switched to Linux or Macs must be rolling around on the floor laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life: Terms and Conditions apply

User avatar
Noisette
Posts: 2055
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:53 pm
Location: Lot et Garonne
Has thanked: 660 times
Been thanked: 385 times

Re: Update to Windows 10

Post by Noisette » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:21 pm

Is it possible on a Vista PC, Flaneur? I hate W10 but it's marginally preferable to binning a perfectly good PC that's ground to a standstill.
Be alert.....your country needs lerts!

User avatar
Flaneur
Posts: 462
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:37 pm
Has thanked: 194 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Update to Windows 10

Post by Flaneur » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:07 pm

Noisette wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:21 pm
Is it possible on a Vista PC, Flaneur? I hate W10 but it's marginally preferable to binning a perfectly good PC that's ground to a standstill.
It doesn't appear so, but - being brutal - your computer probably wouldn't be capable of running it anyway :(

But, if it's already ground to a halt, then the problem may not be solved by an updated OS. Your problem may simply be your computer's antiquity, and you may be expecting too much from it (like expecting a sub-10s 0-60 acceleration from a Mini Metro :)).

However - and if you fancy a bit of a challenge - you could consider Linux. https://www.lifewire.com/best-linux-set ... rs-2204882

My recently-replaced Dell laptop started life with W7; at one point I installed Linux, to see what it was like (I found it fascinating) before rolling back to W8 and then upgrading to W10, with which it was very happy. Unless you have a particular Reason to use W10 (I do: music production software ;)) then you will be able to do whatever you need (internet, email, word-processing, spreadsheets ...) with Linux (and it's free).
Same old nonsense.

User avatar
Flaneur
Posts: 462
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:37 pm
Has thanked: 194 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Update to Windows 10

Post by Flaneur » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Aardvark wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:09 pm
Let's see now. The OS that Microsoft was ramming down our throats against our will, that required many people to upgrade their hardware to run it, and to replace software that had been serving them well previously, that wastes our bandwidth by sending reports of whatever we do on our PCs back to HQ and forcefully updated hundreds of business computers without notice or chance of stopping............................is now on offer for free to those who have happily avoided it ? Those who have switched to Linux or Macs must be rolling around on the floor laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm guessing you voted for Brexit, Aardvark :lol: :lol: :lol:
Same old nonsense.

niemeyjt
Posts: 392
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: Lausanne
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Update to Windows 10

Post by niemeyjt » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:31 pm

For those who want / had to have Windows 10 - I suggest looking at the Ask Woody site - https://www.askwoody.com/ - especially wrt patching

And O&O Shut Up 10 - https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

User avatar
Noisette
Posts: 2055
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:53 pm
Location: Lot et Garonne
Has thanked: 660 times
Been thanked: 385 times

Re: Update to Windows 10

Post by Noisette » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:03 pm

Flaneur wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:07 pm
Noisette wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:21 pm
Is it possible on a Vista PC, Flaneur? I hate W10 but it's marginally preferable to binning a perfectly good PC that's ground to a standstill.
It doesn't appear so, but - being brutal - your computer probably wouldn't be capable of running it anyway :(

But, if it's already ground to a halt, then the problem may not be solved by an updated OS. Your problem may simply be your computer's antiquity, and you may be expecting too much from it (like expecting a sub-10s 0-60 acceleration from a Mini Metro :)).

However - and if you fancy a bit of a challenge - you could consider Linux. https://www.lifewire.com/best-linux-set ... rs-2204882

My recently-replaced Dell laptop started life with W7; at one point I installed Linux, to see what it was like (I found it fascinating) before rolling back to W8 and then upgrading to W10, with which it was very happy. Unless you have a particular Reason to use W10 (I do: music production software ;)) then you will be able to do whatever you need (internet, email, word-processing, spreadsheets ...) with Linux (and it's free).
Um..possibly wrong on quite a few counts there, :D I checked out the spec and it's more than capable, plenty of oomph and memory. I find technology quite enough of a challenge as it is, thankyou :lol: Just wondered if there might be such a thing as a free lunch after all...silly me!
Be alert.....your country needs lerts!

User avatar
Tom
Posts: 1697
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:30 pm
Location: 58 La Nièvre
Has thanked: 217 times
Been thanked: 385 times

Re: Update to Windows 10

Post by Tom » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:06 pm

:good: Have been running Win10 along with Libre for about three years with no significant problems. Have and iPad and an Android phone. Each has its limitations and advantages. Still have an old laptop with Win7 but never use it now except to interrogate the car's fault codes.
Candy is dandy
But liquor is quicker

niemeyjt
Posts: 392
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: Lausanne
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Update to Windows 10

Post by niemeyjt » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:11 pm


Mangetout
Posts: 402
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:39 pm
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 116 times

Re: Update to Windows 10

Post by Mangetout » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:24 pm

I updated to windows 10 free about 2 months ago. Only problem is I can't get Edge to work but that's not a problem, I just use chrome instead.

Post Reply