Google scam ?

Television, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles
F Flinstone
Has thanked: 0

Google scam ?

Post by F Flinstone » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:53 am

Just had an e-mail from Google saying that someone has tried to hack into my Google account from a non Google app, I need to change my password, I was directed to my account activity and it showed an attempt, from somewhere near Russia to hack my account using my password, on the first page which looked genuine, it did have one of my passwords showing. I tried to change it but, and this is the bit I don't understand, is that the "password" is for a "GMail" account, I don't think I have one, I have always been with Orange, to change the password it would set up my e-mails through Gmail and not Orange, Iam a bit confused, any advice gratefully received, thankyou.

jsks

Re: Google scam ?

Post by jsks » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:28 am

All Google accounts are something @gmail.com. That then allows you to access all the Google services. You will have a Gmail account too but you don't have to use it. You can have as many email providers as you like.

Dont click through from any link in the email or notification. Open a new page and login to your Google account and change the password. You don't need to change your Google account name.

suein56

Post by suein56 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:56 pm

F Flinstone wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:53 am
Just had an e-mail from Google saying that someone has tried to hack into my Google account from a non Google app. I have always been with Orange ..
The mail sounds very dodgy. Delete it.

Orange users seem to have been targeted even worse than usual just recently. I have 2 friends who have had their email accounts hacked .. one with an awful outcome, resulting in a report to the police.
Orange have a disastrous reputation for lax security.

Never click on any link in a mail unless you are 100% sure of the sender.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

F Flinstone
Has thanked: 0

Post by F Flinstone » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks managed to change my Google password, I would never open a link unless I knew who it was from, unfortunately too many people do, and the fraudsters win.

vinniemac
Been thanked: 0

Post by vinniemac » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:09 pm

F Flinstone wrote:
Just had an e-mail from Google saying that someone has tried to hack into my Google account from a non Google app, I need to change my password, I was directed to my account activity and it showed an attempt, from somewhere near Russia to hack my account using my password, on the first page which looked genuine, it did have one of my passwords showing. I tried to change it but, and this is the bit I don't understand, is that the "password" is for a "GMail" account, I don't think I have one, I have always been with Orange, to change the password it would set up my e-mails through Gmail and not Orange, Iam a bit confused, any advice gratefully received, thankyou.
not sure but it could be a phishing attack. never change your password unless you land on a secure domain that's https and has the locked padlock sign on it. also, make sure it's the actual domain instead of some other url that just appears to be the same domain.

Jaques

Post by Jaques » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:24 am

suein56 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:56 pm
F Flinstone wrote:
Just had an e-mail from Google saying that someone has tried to hack into my Google account from a non Google app. I have always been with Orange ..
The mail sounds very dodgy. Delete it.

Orange users seem to have been targeted even worse than usual just recently. I have 2 friends who have had their email accounts hacked .. one with an awful outcome, resulting in a report to the police.
Orange have a disastrous reputation for lax security.

Never click on any link in a mail unless you are 100% sure of the sender.
Had your orange friends clicked on anything?
We have recently been getting a loat of ‘factures’ via orange

suein56

Post by suein56 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:21 am

Jaques wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:24 am

Had your orange friends clicked on anything?
We have recently been getting a loat of ‘factures’ via orange
No .. that was the same question I asked. It is down to Orange's very lax security .. it is, apparently, easy to hack into Orange and so people do.
We are with Sosh, which is essentially an Orange offshoot, but I never use the Orange portail (to access the internet) or their email.
Buying an Orange phone from an Orange shop is a real no no ..
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically