Create your avatar/user image

Welcome to our new forum! It's all new and put together by volunteers, any helpful comments to make it better are welcome.
FrenchForumSurvivor

Create your avatar/user image

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:44 pm

For recent new members and those existing members without an avatar/user image who want to have one using one of their own images, here's how to go about it (I'll try to make it simple!)

First of all, the size of the image for the avatar needs to be a maximum of 120 pixels (px) wide and 120 px high and have a 'weight' of less than 12 KB. To achieve that, visit https://www.reduceimages.com/ and go through the steps. (I've done it with an image that Joinfrance posted)
1. (Click to enlarge image)
reduceimage1.PNG
2. (Click to enlarge image)
reduceimage2.PNG
3. (Click to enlarge image)
reduceimage3.PNG
If you've got this far and downloaded the resized image, the final steps are below.

Click the arrow beside your username (top right), click User Control Panel, then from the screen that opens click the Profile tab and then click the Edit avatar option and you'll arrive at the below place. (Click to enlarge image)
Choose the resized image file and click on Submit and, if all has gone well, your profile will be updated with your new avatar!
These users thanked the author FrenchForumSurvivor for the post (total 2):
jardiniere (Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:06 pm) • After the Storm (Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:21 pm)
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

jardiniere

Re: Create your avatar/user image

Post by jardiniere » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:39 pm

Done it! The only thing was finding the image after I had resized it but of course it was in downloads. :oops:

Catrose

Post by Catrose » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Yup, sort of managed but not image I wanted. Will try again another day...

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:42 am

Thx FFS for this link, easy it is. I've got a little freeware tool to resize. By the name of, surprise, PixResizer. It is fast, converts between different formats, sweet memories of lean and mean utilities of the early days of personal computing. Not an expensive memory hog affecting your pc performance.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:57 pm

Looks a useful and lightweight piece of software, RA.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:20 pm

RobertArthur wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:42 am
Thx FFS for this link, easy it is. I've got a little freeware tool to resize. By the name of, surprise, PixResizer. It is fast, converts between different formats, sweet memories of lean and mean utilities of the early days of personal computing. Not an expensive memory hog affecting your pc performance.
I've just downloaded it, as you say it's quick and simple. Was originally disappointed because the same image I used for my OP, when I chose to save it as a .png, reduced to 27KB, ie over the limit, but then I saved it again as the original .jpg format and it reduced to less than what reduceimages.com did, so a good result after all.