One for Mike, drawknife project

A section for discussion and displays of your favourite ways to relax.
Le Démerdeur

One for Mike, drawknife project

Post by Le Démerdeur » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:09 pm

15 minutes from your life but I think you will like it Mike!

He skips over the tempering part but otherwise excellent, shows why a wise man throws nothing away!

The end is especially good

Fitter

Re: One for Mike, drawknife project

Post by Fitter » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Drawknives are not that expensive - you have to draw (sorry!) the line somewhere, you'll be encouraging us to make our own spanners and wrenches next!

Selection here for around £30

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/draw-knife

If it was making a tool that is rare and expensive like a 3 inch slick it would be worthwhile doing it.
With inky blots and rotten parchment bonds: That England, that was wont to conquer others, Hath made a shameful conquest of itself”.
Shakespeare’s Richard II.

"He who is without oil, shall throw the first rod." - Compressions 9:1

pomme homme

Post by pomme homme » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:59 pm

But have you seen some of the prices being sought for a decent enclume!

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:37 pm

I bought a modern Stanley spokeshave which seemed very cheap, it was absolute rubbish, even after fettling it did not cut at all well and felt terrible in the hand, old hand tools just feel right, old hand made hand tools even more so, if you are going to do a hand craft work for the love not for money what better than to make your own hand tools?

The first year of my apprenticeship was spent making handtools that I still use today, I also cherish and use the woodworking tools that my father and grandfather made.

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:44 pm

pomme homme wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:59 pm
But have you seen some of the prices being sought for a decent enclume!
And in addition you will need some sort of forge, either propane or coke or charcoal with a blower, a good striking hammer and a pair of blacksmith's tongs as a minimum.

A better easier source of steel for making tools like a draw knife, chisel, machete is to buy a leaf spring from your local car scrappy.
With inky blots and rotten parchment bonds: That England, that was wont to conquer others, Hath made a shameful conquest of itself”.

Biggles

Post by Biggles » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:37 pm
I bought a modern Stanley spokeshave which seemed very cheap, it was absolute rubbish, even after fettling it did not cut at all well and felt terrible in the hand
Mine is a Goldenberg, French, modern & excellent. Absolute joy to use! But greatly in need of sharpening - can anyone advise on the best technique/equipment to achieve that please?

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:53 pm

Biggles wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:02 pm
Le Démerdeur wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:37 pm
I bought a modern Stanley spokeshave which seemed very cheap, it was absolute rubbish, even after fettling it did not cut at all well and felt terrible in the hand
Mine is a Goldenberg, French, modern & excellent. Absolute joy to use! But greatly in need of sharpening - can anyone advise on the best technique/equipment to achieve that please?
A good video in english ( not american) on how to sharpen a spokeshave from someone who knows what he is doing.

I note that if you google for "spokeshave" it will come up with a lot of drawknives - they are not used for the same work!