France authorises the trapping of hundreds of thousands of birds.

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Fitter

France authorises the trapping of hundreds of thousands of birds.

Post by Fitter » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:46 pm

MOH spotted a link to this article recently.

https://www.birdguides.com/news/france- ... s-of-birds

But I can't find any reference anywhere as to the reason why this appalling decision has been made.
Is it just a sop to the "hunting" fraternity?
These users thanked the author Fitter for the post:
After the Storm (Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:12 pm)
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

Fitter

Re: France authorises the trapping of hundreds of thousands of birds.

Post by Fitter » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:56 pm

I don't consider the two subjects to be in any way similar.

I posted to highlight the disgusting practice of trapping wild songbirds in a barbaric way - presumably for food, it is a tradition in southern europe as I understand.

IMHO Packham's campaign against grouse shooting is more political than protectionist.
His previous misguided campaign resulting in the licensing of farmers and landowners to shoot pest birds, magpies, crows, pigeons etc being withdrawn has been discredited and the original licensing scheme reinstated.

I would be grateful if you could repost the Packham petition as a stand -alone thread.
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

FrenchForumSurvivor

Re: France authorises the trapping of hundreds of thousands of birds.

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:53 pm

Obviously there's a missing post here. I think this is the original article in French from which the story in the OP came, but I can't see any justification in it other than a sop to the hunters.
https://www.notre-planete.info/actualit ... oiseau-glu
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen