Things that go bump in the night?

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Le Démerdeur

Re: Things that go bump in the night?

Post by Le Démerdeur » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:56 pm

manonthemoon wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:01 pm
I just looked them up as have never heard of them. They're pretty cute, remind me of a cross between guinea pigs, chinchilla, and rats. What a combination.
I think that they are called mole rats in English but dont think they are endemic to the British Isles.

F Flinstone
Has thanked: 0

Post by F Flinstone » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Just an up-date, nothing has been caught in the traps, but some bait has gone :( so after yet another interrupted night, I took the decision to put down some poison, this is against my principles, but left me with no choice, so last night put down two sachets of poisoned wheat, the type you leave sealed, put the boxes back on the window cill in the garage, one un-opened, the other one with three bags left in, this morning the two bags on the floor were gone :) the boxes on the window cill had gone as well :o :o :o quickly found them behind some wood, the little/big ba***** had taken another packet out of the opened box!! :shock: this is a complete mystery to me to what could have jumped up four feet to get at the two boxes, it has to be a beech or pine marten IMHO, or one of Santa's elves :? hope they dont feed the reindeer's with them ;) ;) Ff
Last edited by F Flinstone on Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mysty

Post by mysty » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:33 pm

It could be rats
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

F Flinstone

Post by F Flinstone » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:44 pm

Do rats make a noise when walking about? other rodents dont, but obviously the are smaller, rats like their smaller cousin can and do leave trails, usually scat, I do have a very good book on such a subject, but throughout a search of the garage floor have not seen any sign of any scat, also they are very good climbers, but can they jump from the floor straight upwards?, they have little legs, a trap camera would have been a good idea, but getting one just before Christmas, not a good idea, but thanks for suggestions. Ff

Leclairon

Post by Leclairon » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:19 am

We had what we thought might be a fouine in the roof. Tried a variety of methods to trap it and get rid of it, to no avail.
Then we scattered a few mothballs up in the roof. Have had no problem since with any animals. We assumed they just don't like the smell.

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:03 pm

After 3 sleepless nights we also used poison. The following morning we found 3 dead creatures floating in our swimming pool and best of all no more knawing/scratching at night. Also no more creatures in the pool. It might just be coincidence.
These users thanked the author manonthemoon for the post:
PatF (Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:11 pm)
Rating: 12.5%

PatF

Post by PatF » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:11 pm

Maninthemoon - were the dead creatures mice?
We never really identified those which were doing damage in our bathroom, though I know it was mice in the piano and van. There's a distinctive smell, and we found their mummified bodies in the piano.
Or the live one in the kitchen.
ps the bathroom, something chewed through the waste pipe under the bath and water leaked through the living room ceiling.

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:44 pm

Pat we're not 100% sure that all 3 were mice. I think 2 were shrews and 1 slightly smaller definitely a mouse.

It just seems coincidental that the noise has abated since we used poison and we found dead creatures.