Most fasinating wildlife creature you found in France

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Headers

Re: Most fasinating wildlife creature you found in France

Post by Headers » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:45 am

A slo-worm under some plastic sheeting that i moved to paint a wall. What a lovely thing it was.

Biggles

Post by Biggles » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:02 am

Headers wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:45 am
A slo-worm under some plastic sheeting that i moved to paint a wall. What a lovely thing it was.
I trust it still is lovely? ;)

PatF

Post by PatF » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:18 pm

I've never heard of a slo-worm. Had to look it up.
It's a lizard!
Another of my favourites was a bright blue damsel fly. A few of them used to hover over a stream near our house. Like this one:
https://www.insectidentification.org/in ... -Damselfly
In the early days we had lots of dragonflies at our pond, (mare) but they gradually disappeared. The pond was fed by water running off cereal fields - perhaps became polluted by herbicides and pesticides.

just a Frenchie

Post by just a Frenchie » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:08 pm

PatF wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:18 pm
I've never heard of a slo-worm. Had to look it up.
It's a lizard!
Another of my favourites was a bright blue damsel fly. A few of them used to hover over a stream near our house. Like this one:
https://www.insectidentification.org/in ... -Damselfly
In the early days we had lots of dragonflies at our pond, (mare) but they gradually disappeared. The pond was fed by water running off cereal fields - perhaps became polluted by herbicides and pesticides.
Amazing Damselflies !
Often people confuse Dragonflies and Damselflies.
Easy to recognize, when they land: Dragonflies keep their wings flat on both sides, while Damselflies fold them together above the body. Also, Dragonflies have a more robust body.
Why are there Damselflies of different colors: blue, brown, orange, yellow, etc? They are different species. In addition, in some species, the male and the female do not have the same color.
https://www.inventairefac.com/2018/10/1 ... moiselles/
These users thanked the author just a Frenchie for the post:
PatF (Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:22 pm)
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

Spardo

Post by Spardo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:18 pm

We still have plenty of Dragonflies and Damselflies around our pond, perhaps because it is only fed from above. :roll:

Fascinating as they are, in summer they can be a nuisance, the Dragonflies that is. Great big green Emporers constantly fly into the house through the open doors and get stuck behind the crockery on the draining board, folded back curtains and in various corners.

Sometimes they will jump onto my hand if I put it close enough and hang on tight as I convey them to the open air. Otherwise the butterfly/wasp/frelon/bee/ bluebottle/moth/shit beetle/grasshopper/mantis net gets many outings to return them to the paths of righteousness. ;) :D
These users thanked the author Spardo for the post:
PatF (Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:22 pm)

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:53 pm

I have seen a hare twice in the last 15 years. Certainly memorable because both times I didn't know they were there. They didn't move a muscle until I was within a few feet. Then they bound out like a shot from a cannon. :o What a fright, I can tell you.
R.I.P. UK

Joinfrance

Post by Joinfrance » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:13 pm

I never thought I lived anywhere special in the UK but I've seen loads of the things mentioned here there! I stood on an adders tail near the fleet in Dorset, and I saw hares at Altcar when we were trying to stop the coursing. Badgers were a regular visitor to my garden too along with hedgehogs and foxes.

PatF

Post by PatF » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:31 pm

You're lucky, Jo! Nothing like that here, except the bird life is varied.
Going back to our pond, the mares of the Gers were good places for wildlife to flourish. I think they were created for the clay in the soil which was used to make blocks for building. Then became useful eg for abreuvoirs for cattle, as well as havens for wildlife.
I used to have a website listing most of the mares in the Gers, with photos etc, but can't find it now. This one is quite good:
https://www.adasea32.fr/sites/default/f ... presse.pdf