Glass / Zeolite?

Ask questions about buying, installing and maintaining a swimming pool/pond in France.
Hal

Glass / Zeolite?

Post by Hal » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:54 pm

Extending my pool clean-up, maybe a good time to change the glass filter media as it must be five years old or so.

Before I do, is anyone using zeolite, or has it gone out of fashion now?

Noisette

Re: Glass / Zeolite?

Post by Noisette » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:44 pm

I'll be interested in any answers, Hal. The sand in our filter is long overdue for a change and I'm wondering whether to go for an alternative material.
Be alert.....your country needs lerts!

Spotty

Post by Spotty » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:52 pm

Hal wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:54 pm
Extending my pool clean-up, maybe a good time to change the glass filter media as it must be five years old or so.

Before I do, is anyone using zeolite, or has it gone out of fashion now?
The glass should still be good, I've never had to change out a sand filter with glass in. Get your hand in there, swoosh it about & see what it's like.

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:45 pm

We regularly backwash our sand filter. The sand has been there for 5 years now and looks clean. We topped it up a couple of years ago. When and why do you need to completely change the sand?

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

Hal

Post by Hal » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:42 am

Spotty wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:52 pm

The glass should still be good, I've never had to change out a sand filter with glass in. Get your hand in there, swoosh it about & see what it's like.
Interesting in what you say Spotty - I am just going by various suggestions on the internet that the filter stuff should be changed out - some say five, others say seven years.

My main worry though is maybe because I let the alk and Ph to get out of control and scale was deposited all around the pool, there must be a ton of the stuff in the filter that will only get pumped around the new water - or is this an inecessary fear? If there is the possibility of anything bad sitting in the filter then expenditure on new glass - or zeolite - might be a small price to pay to make sure I start off right...I don't know?

Spotty

Post by Spotty » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:41 am

All the sand filters where the sand is a disgusting lump of sludge that I've changed are pools run on galets where the chemical levels peak & trough over the course of a week. You'll get a lack of flow thro' the filter due to an almost solid crust or it'll take ages to clear or won't clear as the sand's stuck together in big, sludgy, glutinous, bacterial blobs (gag :lol: ).

I check all the sand filters on the squillion pools I open & on the pools with glass media & real-time monitoring dosers, the glass/sand is always like new. Oldest is 9 years old with Astral Pool's glass media, the owner is interested in seeing how long it will last & the pool is crystal clear as it was from the start.

If you've been naughty with your chemistry & would be happier if you change it , just change it. :D
I use the Ultimex glass from Cash Piscines as I've two nearby. A hotel pool 18 x 6m with 3m deep end has a 1m dia sand filter with Ultimex in it & you can see an earwig poo on the bottom of the deep end.
25 kg bag of glass gravier for the bottom is €17.90 & €15.90 for the fine verre filtrant.

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:44 am

We keep backwashing the sand to deliberately keep it clean as we have guests who liberally apply sun tan cream and can’t be bothered to shower - despite a shower being close to the pool steps. How long does managed sand last Spotty compared to the glass?

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

vic evans
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by vic evans » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:10 am

Spotty wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:41 am

I use the Ultimex glass from Cash Piscines as I've two nearby. A hotel pool 18 x 6m with 3m deep end has a 1m dia sand filter with Ultimex in it & you can see an earwig poo on the bottom of the deep end.
Morning Spots.
Your post got me thinking about some of the commercial pools whose design I was involved in yonks ago which all used sand filters in vertical or horizontal configurations.
I've no idea what constitutes an acceptable turn over rate these days or even if this is still the governing factor for filter sizing given the 'new' types of filter medium & dosing systems now available but always curious.
I'm guessing the above commercial pool has a vol. of about 200 m3 & am amazed that a filter with an area of about 0.78 m2 can deal with this.
This new filter medium must be superb.

Hal

Post by Hal » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:40 am

Spotty wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:41 am

If you've been naughty with your chemistry & would be happier if you change it , just change it. :D
25 kg bag of glass gravier for the bottom is €17.90 & €15.90 for the fine verre filtrant.
I just opened the filter and dug down a little and have to agree with you - the glass does not look much different than when it went in! I backwash quite frequently and have a direct javel doser that you say helps, and to the naked eye it would appear so. Maybe I will give it a really good backwash and leave it as is. After all it is something I can do later on.