wild flower meadow

PatF

wild flower meadow

Post by PatF »

Can anyone tell me the french word for a field of wild flowers? Seeded on purpose to attract bees etc.
I think it beigins ja........

just a Frenchie

Re: wild flower meadow

Post by just a Frenchie »

Could be Jachère fleurie: https://www.comptoirdesjardins.fr/grain ... gKHMfD_BwE
But also mélange fleuri, mélange prairie, pelouse fleurie, etc...
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

I don't really know Pat. I have a glossary of french horticultural terms and they are not in there but a lot of meadow plants have "de prés" after them which I take not to mean "up close".

If you put "wild meadow flower seeds" in english into Amazon.fr/jardin there are four packets across the top of different types. Each costs a tad over 2€ but as the delivery is +6€; I guess they are dispatched from the UK so you might find the same there.

Good hunting.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

I don't know but I remember whatisname from Planet Passion once poured scorn on the synthetic efforts.

PatF

Post by PatF »

jachere fleuri - that's what I was looking for. Thanks JAF.
I've looked up jachere and it means a fallow field, so that makes sense.
There were many of them in the Gers, Very colourful and attracts bees etc. Maybe the farming subsidy depends on using all land for a useful purpose all the time.

ICHABOD

Post by ICHABOD »

We had a lovely field of flowers outside of Narbonne a couple of years ago and then they just stopped. We think it was ploughed over or the owner was told not to plant more. Pretty certain it was ordered by the local council because it was on a single carriage way and caused a few crashes with rubber neckers (including us!) It really was beautiful