Chainsaw sharpening advice please

Everything about gardening in France.
Mike

Re: Chainsaw sharpening advice please

Post by Mike » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:45 am

I'v fitted out both of my chainsaws with Oregon Powersharp blades, would not go back to a conventional chain, the speed of sharpening is about 5 seconds:
Sent from my laptop using all my fingers.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:50 am

Depending on how expensive that set up is initially it might have merit. Thanks for posting. :good:

The first thing I do after buying a new grinder, circular saw, etc. is remove the guard which always restricts the practical use or visibility of the cutting point. Early on my hand slipped down toward the disc and trapped between the disc and the grinder body. Lesson learned! Grip tight and pay attention.

My only mishap with a chainsaw was trying to hold a small log down with one foot while cutting. The saw snagged for a second and the log twisted around, the saw then took a bite off the end of my welly. Lesson learned! Find a better way to secure a loose log.
Brexit [breg-zit, brek-sit] noun, The process where politicians and other lower life forms use democracy to perform the socio-economic destruction of a country.
see also Armageddon

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:34 pm

Aardvark wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:50 am
My only mishap with a chainsaw was trying to hold a small log down with one foot while cutting. The saw snagged for a second and the log twisted around, the saw then took a bite off the end of my welly. Lesson learned! Find a better way to secure a loose log.
That's what the teeth at the bottom of the chainsaw is for, I see lots of U tube people with chainsaws cutting with the end or middle of the saw, digging the teeth into whatever you are cutting makes it more stable, just a thought.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:36 pm

Correct. But I would have to be on hands and knees to do it that way, or have the log up on a stand. My spine no longer bends normally so have to do things differently than most.
Brexit [breg-zit, brek-sit] noun, The process where politicians and other lower life forms use democracy to perform the socio-economic destruction of a country.
see also Armageddon

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:54 pm

https://electrosawhq.com/oregon-powersh ... er-review/

This is a review of the powersharp that Mike posted. I like the fact that the chain has a special link which dresses the grindstone whilst sharpening is in progress.
Candy is dandy
But liquor is quicker

vic evans

Post by vic evans » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:13 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:54 pm
https://electrosawhq.com/oregon-powersh ... er-review/

This is a review of the powersharp that Mike posted. I like the fact that the chain has a special link which dresses the grindstone whilst sharpening is in progress.
Great idea for the odd job or those who can't properly sharpen a chain but I don't like the conns or the price.
I use an electric sharpener & take about 5 min to sharpen a chain. When chain is off it's easy to clean out saw housing including safety brake & check guide slot for damage. How often would that get done if chain is sharpened on the saw?
Chain teeth are evenly sharpened & last longer than when I filed 'em by hand.
Working away from home I take a spare sharp chain for each machine 'to the job' & that's always enough for any days work I care to do.
I'm here to help where I can. The sarcasm & insults are just a complimentary service I provide.

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:45 pm

I tried the Oregon Powersharp system years ago when it first came out. I have to say that if you don't want to, haven't got the time, or can't sharpen a chain in one of the conventional ways it might be ok for you. A lot of landscapers who use chainsaws for hacking railway sleepers about in the UK use Powersharp, because sleepers are full of grit and dirt.

The disadvantage with the system is that to sharpen the chain you attach the sharpening fixture to the end of the bar, run the motor up to drive the chain and push the sharpening stone against the outside of the chain, which produces a sharper edge by grinding away the top of the teeth of the chain, instead of with conventional sharpening, grinding or filing the gullets underneath the teeth.
Hence you don't get any tooth cutting clearance angle.

Chaincuttingangles.JPG
Chaincuttingangles.JPG (46.55 KiB) Viewed 117 times
With inky blots and rotten parchment bonds: That England, that was wont to conquer others, Hath made a shameful conquest of itself”.
Shakespeare’s Richard II.

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:59 pm

The disadvantage with the system is that to sharpen the chain you attach the sharpening fixture to the end of the bar, run the motor up to drive the chain and push the sharpening stone against the outside of the chain, which produces a sharper edge by grinding away the top of the teeth of the chain, instead of with conventional sharpening, grinding or filing the gullets underneath the teeth. Hence you don't get any tooth cutting clearance angle.
They say the chain is a special design, which allows it to be sharpened from the top without altering the depth gauge setting. But I suspect that the chain is a bit of a compromise. The reviews posted on Amazon from those who have tried this system are somewhat mixed.
Candy is dandy
But liquor is quicker

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:33 am

I'v had one on my Stihl for many years and would not change, when we bought in France 10 years ago the chainsaw went there, I had no hesitation when buying a replacement for our place in the UK in buying a Powersharp for that as well, they are brilliant especially if you need to sharpen out in the woods, the time saved alone is worth it.