Everything about gardening in France.
Ally

Re: overwintering

Post by Ally » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:18 pm

Welcome to the forum.
These users thanked the author Ally for the post:
spj (Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:11 pm)
Rating: 11.11%
Never in the history o' calming doon has a Scottish person being telt tae calm doon, ever calmed doon.

Noisette

Post by Noisette » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:00 pm

I've got my big terracotta pots through the last 10 years by wrapping them in fleece, geotextile, pool underlay...anything I can lay hands on, then shoving them under the roof overhang. Most of the 'bedding' plants survive, with the exception of Lotus berthelottii. Even that would probably survive if the cats didn't doss down on it ☺ Springtime is far more tricky than winter. Judging when and how much to uncover and water is a fine art!
Be alert.....your country needs lerts!

Stompie

Post by Stompie » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:58 pm

spj wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:11 pm
I also worry these days about the amount of plastic that is used and discarded in the plant world. I'm sure most gardeners would consider they are taking care of the planet, but I fear not - just look at the number of plastic plant trays and pots in the decheterie in spring. It's imperative we move to more sustainable gardening and ridding ourselves of the idea that we are buying "annuals" to be renewed each year is one way of helping. I love our local garden centre, but they see me on far fewer occasions these days. And the Scrooge in me loves the fact that I'm saving money!
Our local garden centre offers a deposit on their plastic pots, I think it's five cents for each little pot. "Buy local, think global" is their policy. So far I haven't taken any back as I use them for my own seedlings, from save seeds. Like you I think Scrooge may have been an ancestor!!
Someone above was asking about honeysuckle - I used to have several varieties in Highland Scotland and they thrived, even the year it went as low as - 25C!

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:27 pm

Decades ago I was installing a security system in a local authority owned garden centre/allotment complex (think réinsertion) they had huge stacks of empty used seed trays, I took a load of them and used them inverted as moulds for a "grasscrete" paving area, when the concrete had set I melted out the bottoms of the cups that were now at the top, filled them all with soil and grass seed (very laborious). It is in use a a combined garden and parking area to this day.

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:30 pm

I bring in my two Money Tree trees ( one over 30 years and the other about 20 Years old) and the bamboo (in a pot). I have given up trying to save any others.
WE CAN ALL SEE THE STARS BUT ONLY SOME OF US SEE THE LIGHT :good: