Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 am
Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:33 am
alittlebitmorefrench wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:12 pm
Loverly house AP.

We need to work on the you tube video mind you :D

I'm def moving to Brittany.
Yeah, the video is appalling I have to agree, a friend has a drone and has promised to do a video for me.

Plus side is- with no guests on the 14th of July, we will be staying there, the village has a fire work display over the lake, just 100m from the house, we can have a party and invite all our friends !
In that case I'm definitely moving to Tours
:D

We have a few French relatives en Bretagne...you are not safe.

We went to a wedding in Brittany many years ago. It lasted the whole night.

The house/mansion had it's own private beach.

I warming to the idea of moving to Brittany.

why me?

Re: Going to be a quiet summer methinks

Post by why me? » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:56 am

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:43 am

Bugger !
Once it gets the albmf seal of approval we'll be inundated & all of the green fields will be turned into housing estates.

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:11 am

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:43 am

We have a few French relatives en Bretagne...you are not safe.

We went to a wedding in Brittany many years ago. It lasted the whole night.

The house/mansion had it's own private beach.

ALBMF

We have done that, being British we turned up on time 14.00hrs the only ones there ! People started arriving about 16.00hrs for the wedding party drink flowed like...wine ! Lots of food, my French became fluent, people kept on dissapearing at 5 am we staggered home, only to find out later that most people came for a couple of hours, went home, slept re-grouped and came back, we did the whole kit and caboudle and are now considered legends locally !
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Catrose

Post by Catrose » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:05 pm

rabbit wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:35 am
Le Démerdeur wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:01 am

Its what comes of the antiquated and non fit for purpose French gîte classification system that still insists that I have a pressure cooker in every appartement and must have a payphone for guests if there is not a cabine téléphonique within 100 meters.
Yes Gite classification is crazy. Ours was marked down for not having a pot large enough to boil a lobster
I don’t know who was doing the classification for you both, but they were having a laugh! Pressure cookers and lobsters pots aren’t required items even for 5* round here, so methinks they were winding you up for fun. Or perhaps have been bribed by local lobster industry? You just have to have cooking equipment of a suitable size for the number of people.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:31 pm

Its been a few years since I looked at the requirements, back then there was no incentive for me to be classified, each appartement would need a seperate inspection at circa €400 and the more stars that you got the higher your taxe de séjour payment would be, absolutely crazy!

I only ever paid a maximum of €300 in TDS and begrudged that, had I got any more than one star it would have doubled.

Now unclassified establishments have to pay 1% there is some incentive but they have screwed up the regulations at a local level so I only paid €30 last year, they say that the booking agent has to pay even though they are not collecting it and left out monthly rentals from the text.

The 1% could be cheaper for budget accomodation that sleeps many compared to the 20cts per person per night but it will be a crippler for the chambre d'hôtes because currently they cannot get a classification and I doubt that will change for a long time.

As usual they are turning the screw on those who are above board and registered and not bothering with those who arent which are causing the real problems in the large cities and tourist destinations.

tim17
Has thanked: 0

Post by tim17 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:00 am

The owner of our biggest and busiest gite advertises in several different languages which had paid dividends this year as the Brits have stayed away, we have got guests from five countries this season which is a first.

Simonflys

Post by Simonflys » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 am

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:31 pm
Its been a few years since I looked at the requirements, back then there was no incentive for me to be classified, each appartement would need a seperate inspection at circa €400 and the more stars that you got the higher your taxe de séjour payment would be, absolutely crazy!

I only ever paid a maximum of €300 in TDS and begrudged that, had I got any more than one star it would have doubled.

Now unclassified establishments have to pay 1% there is some incentive but they have screwed up the regulations at a local level so I only paid €30 last year, they say that the booking agent has to pay even though they are not collecting it and left out monthly rentals from the text.

The 1% could be cheaper for budget accomodation that sleeps many compared to the 20cts per person per night but it will be a crippler for the chambre d'hôtes because currently they cannot get a classification and I doubt that will change for a long time.

As usual they are turning the screw on those who are above board and registered and not bothering with those who arent which are causing the real problems in the large cities and tourist destinations.
Hi LD - not sure where you're getting your 1% ''unclassified'' TDS rate from but for 2019 it's actually 5.5% of the rental cost HT, max 2,20€ per adult per night. Table below. So, in fact, the clients of unclassified accomm are heavily penalised. In any case - it's the client that pays - the owner / manager is simply the unpaid tax collector.
Attachments
Taxe de Séjour 2019 - Edited (1).jpg
Taxe de Séjour 2019 - Edited (1).jpg (88.06 KiB) Viewed 364 times
I Never Did Mind About The Little Things.....
https://youtu.be/OSQR_GpCtEo

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:37 am

Well 2 weeks into July which has always been the busiest month and.....................................

Well nothing really, €140 of bookings and €720 of cancellations, 3 years ago I had turned over €4600 in the first fortnight, adjusted for having more apartments now that figure would be €5750 so down some 98%.

One other reservation for €130 for the rest of the month.

August only 2 reservations totalling €235 and €400 of cancellations.

I told myself last year to take this summer off, I should have listened to my advice, its still a very rentable business during the rest of the year and I deserve a holiday by now, I should make hay while the sun shines holiday wise because a big boom is coming which is why the current situation is not denting my confidence, just wish that I had listened to my gut feeling for this summer.

Looking around there are so few UK reg'd vehicles this year in this area, the car parks of the hôtels and other hebergeurs all look empty and there is a serious price war going on, a race to the bottom which should in time be to my benefit.

tim17
Has thanked: 0

Post by tim17 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:39 am

Speaking to the owners of a gite complex yesterday, they made the point that with the exchange rate so low a week in France is now expensive compared to what's on offer at Thomas Cook or TUI who've got holidays to destinations all over Europe from £500 p.p., they're bracing themselves for a shit year in 2020 if 'no-deal' happens.
These users thanked the author tim17 for the post:
mysty (Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:05 am)

Simonflys

Post by Simonflys » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:48 am

Lots of late bookings (i.e. within 2-3 weeks of arrival) down here.
I Never Did Mind About The Little Things.....
https://youtu.be/OSQR_GpCtEo