Electronic repair

Hi there.
New to the forum then why not pop in here and introduce yourself.
You will also find some useful information regarding navigating the forum.
Le-Dolly

Re: Electronic repair

Post by Le-Dolly » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:12 pm

RobertArthur wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:38 pm
@ Ralphish: if the solutions under 1/ don't solve the problem, the other repair options will be rather expensive. When my Yamaha CD-player reached the end of it's laser diode life I hesitated: repair this loyal audio servant, or buy something new. I bought a cheap DVD-player. Capable of digesting CD-R discs and decoding MP3 files. Prices (new) now from about 25 to 60 euros. Vide greniers prices about 5 to 10 euros. Restoring your Marantz in it's former glory: deep pocket needed.

Do you remember, October 1982, introduction of the first CD-players in Japan by Philips/Sony/CBS. Promises: almost eternal life of the discs (100 years), no new needles (Shure, Pickering, Ortofon, Audio Technica) for your turntable (perhaps a Thorens), extremely low distortion, no vinyl crackle, no rumble.
And absolutely no soul or life.
Le-Dolly ( . )( . ) www.pink-electrique.fr

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:38 pm

Funny you should say that. In '86 I ditched a perfectly nice Thorens turntable in favour of a Sony CD player. Its still in service today. Now I've had to extensively repair and upgrade an obsolete British made turntable and try to hunt out vinyl LPs that are still playable.
Life: Terms and Conditions apply

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:55 pm

My Thorens TD 165 is still here and I had to ditch my very expensive Sony CD-player (ES series, around 1988), had been repaired by SONY (guarantee) several times. Finally I gave up. And continued with standard consumer cd-players. In the meantime adopting another Thorens turntable: only 5 euros, late afternoon, closing time of a vide greniers : everybody ditching their turntables.....

Le-Dolly

Post by Le-Dolly » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:36 pm

I have a, still in perfect condition, 26 year old, BeoGram 7000, with a very expensive MMC1 cartridge, in the stack system for around the house remote playing. Although eight years ago I sold two of my bikes, a T120 and one of my Uncle Bunts, to finance a new deck, a G N MEDITERRANEO with a PH-10 amp, I have never told the OH what they cost ;) . I only buy and play vinyl.
These users thanked the author Le-Dolly for the post:
Aardvark (Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:07 pm)
Le-Dolly ( . )( . ) www.pink-electrique.fr

Ralphish
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ralphish » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:57 pm

Hullo RobertArthur and many thanks to everyone who has responded to my dilemma. The CD player in question is less than three years old and failed within the guarantee period. I hesitated at the thought of returning it to UK and by the time I had made up my mind the guarantee had expired. However, I still had an Arcam CD player the tray of which refused to respond to its button. By chance I read that the writer had had the same problem but was pushing and pulling by hand so I still have an old, manually operated but excellent player. Before assigning my Marantz player to the bin I shall try the suggestion of submitting it to Darty as they are still selling this model.