A piece of bread or a slice of bread ?

Aardvark

Re: A piece of bread or a slice of bread ?

Post by Aardvark » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:59 pm

alittlebitmorefrench wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:10 pm
I am just going through the test again :D

Complete with 'some' or 'any'.

Have we got .............Coke in the fridge ? :?

:lol:

It is 25 years since I was a student but I sure we did not keep it in the fridge :shock:

I not sure what the answer is :P
Doesn't it get damp and lumpy if stored in the Fridge?
"Lift and separate"

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:23 pm
I have a dear friend who was my French teacher, she is always happy for me to correct her and will often ask me the correct way of saying something.

However.......................................

She is a teacher of English at a lycée pro and I used to be a teaching assistant there in her classes and for the other profs, I made the mistake once of correcting something she said, very politely and respectfully and also diplomatically, something like "a better way of saying XYZ would be ............" and afterwards in the staffroom she really let me have it because it really is a case of there is only one correct answer and that is what the prof says, what I did was to undermine her authority and plant the seeds of doubt in the students minds that perhaps the prof was fallible and migh not know everything, to me that was a good thing, to make youngsters aware and to question but in the French education system its a complete no-no and explains why so many French will believe without question what they are told by someone supposedly in authority and those same people in authority will always make something up if they dont know the answer to a question, in 15 years I have heard many ludicrous replies to questions but never once heard someone say "I dont know"

Her daughter naturally speaks very good English having known me and other Anglophones from an early age but has always been marked down in English lessons to the extent that one year she was faced with having to redouble because of her note :cry: but she is streets ahead of the rest of the class and probably ahead of the prof also.
The statement in bold above is one of the keys to understanding what make the French tick. The result is a general inability to think "outside the box" to solve a problem. If your particular situation is not in the manual, you get "the French shrug" instead of a genuine attempt to find a solution. Has anyone here ever received an apology for some corporate cockup or goods or service that fell well short of expected normes? A rare event indeed.
"Lift and separate"

vic evans
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by vic evans » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:44 pm

Has anyone here ever received an apology for some corporate cockup or goods or service that fell well short of expected normes? A rare event indeed.
A few years ago we did.
We were arguing at our tax office about AFAIR whether social charges should be applied to rental income & were told in no uncertain terms to" piss off, we're right & you're wrong & anyway we're too busy to deal with you"
We demanded to speak to the head honcho who promised to check it out.
On the way home we received a phone call from HH to say " sorry, you were right & to please come back tomorrow, ask for me & I'll sort it out"
Never had a tax problem since :lol:

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:36 pm

Aardvark wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:13 pm
Le Démerdeur wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:23 pm
to me that was a good thing, to make youngsters aware and to question but in the French education system its a complete no-no and explains why so many French will believe without question what they are told by someone supposedly in authority and those same people in authority will always make something up if they dont know the answer to a question, in 15 years I have heard many ludicrous replies to questions but never once heard someone say "I dont know"
The statement in bold above is one of the keys to understanding what make the French tick. The result is a general inability to think "outside the box" to solve a problem....
The French education system rightly places a highly-weighted mark for Philosophie in the bac, the subject encourages thinking and arguing differently. What's more, modern young French computer programmers and developers are seen in the States as the most innovative and are regularly snapped up by employers over there. Hardly an inability to think "outside the box".
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Nifty

Post by Nifty » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:05 pm

vic evans wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:44 pm
Moving offshore is a big piece of cake once you know how.
Last edited by Nifty on Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vic evans
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by vic evans » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:06 pm

Nifty wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:05 pm
vic evans wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:44 pm
Moving offshore.
Would if I could get away with it :P