Opportunities increasing for Australians

After the Storm

Opportunities increasing for Australians

Post by After the Storm » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:07 am

Given the choice if I was a student or researcher now, I would choose France over the U.K.

“UK researchers, on the other hand, could be starved of such opportunities. “There will be tremendous changes after Brexit for research,” Dr Vidal told the conference.

“Brexit is a pity for the UK. We think, for example, that the owners of European Research Council fellowships will not be able to stay in the UK. A lot of researchers of universities and laboratories in [the] UK ask French universities to welcome them in the near future.”

You can read the article for free by just registering. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/ne ... tralian-he

Nifty

Re: Opportunities increasing for Australians

Post by Nifty » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:22 am

UK Guv. - ‘Durr! We never thought of that’

alittlebitmorefrench

Post by alittlebitmorefrench » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:26 am

After the Storm wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:07 am
Given the choice if I was a student or reasearcher now, I would choose France over the U.K.
We were having this discussion the other day, and we both agreed that we would go to the UK as students. Would never stay in France.

I mean UK is still the No 1 destination for French students.

Studying in France is firstly very dull and boring and to be fair......very grim.

I feel sorry for French students.

You need to think about how the educational system works in France and how it relates to finding a job. It is just (IMHO) plain discriminatory and awful.

So Brexit or no Brexit, the UK wins.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:37 am

Think I’ll listen to my professor cousin who has been coming to France for years due to the various research programmes that he is and has been involved in with two universities here, regarding what the future opportunities are going to be in the UK v’s France. Just take a look at the University of Sussex and it’s latest statement. All of the conversations I had when I was back last time for six weeks, were extremely negative on the future consequences after Brexit for universities and not just for research programmes.

alittlebitmorefrench

Post by alittlebitmorefrench » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:50 am

After the Storm wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:37 am
Think I’ll listen to my professor cousin who has been coming to France for years due to the various research programmes that he is and has been involved in with two universities here, regarding what the future opportunities are going to be in the UK v’s France.
I think I will listen to those who have gone through the French educational system or those (particularly OH) who manages a large team and deals with HR in a large multinational company. It is more reality.

Why do think people strike so much in France ;) .....including students who have an enormous propensity to smash up their university facilities given the chance. They want change not change.

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:52 am

In my field at the moment research opportunities are 100% better in France. That was not the case even 5 years ago but there has been a massive improvement and some really ground breaking research being done, especially in the use of new technologies and disability.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:49 pm

bluebird

Post by bluebird » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:35 pm

alittlebitmorefrench wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:26 am
After the Storm wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:07 am
Given the choice if I was a student or reasearcher now, I would choose France over the U.K.
We were having this discussion the other day, and we both agreed that we would go to the UK as students. Would never stay in France.

I mean UK is still the No 1 destination for French students.

Studying in France is firstly very dull and boring and to be fair......very grim.

I feel sorry for French students.

You need to think about how the educational system works in France and how it relates to finding a job. It is just (IMHO) plain discriminatory and awful.

So Brexit or no Brexit, the UK wins.
Sadly many UK universities have become dreadful market driven, money generating institutions, and students are just a product rolling off the higher education conveyer belt.

Nifty

Post by Nifty » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:42 pm

@ bluebird A result of the struggle for equal opportunity; mixed in with a host of other factors that are difficult,
if not impossible, to quantify.

@ ats. The upside for politicians is that they can add as many zeros as they like and the net result is zero.