Parts for MG TF 160

Archy

Re: Parts for MG TF 160 - update

Post by Archy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:30 pm

Well OH has got all the parts sorted via Rimmer Bros (thanks for all your responses) however, the airbag is a problem as being a hazard they will not post out to France or in the UK you have to go and collect in person! Here's my rather daft question ie how do they test at the CT if an airbag is OK it's not possible surely. The warning light isn't on so I guess it could be classed as OK but what do you petrol heads think? Pardon my naivety and thanks Mrs A.

Le Démerdeur

Re: Parts for MG TF 160

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:52 pm

They simply check that the warning light comes on during the self test when ignition switched on and then goes off afterwards. There were plans that the CT tester would upload any fault codes from the OBD socket, if they are no doing this then a faulty or missing airbag would generate a code even if someone had been clever enough to make the warning light function as it should.

Archy

Post by Archy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:52 pm
They simply check that the warning light comes on during the self test when ignition switched on and then goes off afterwards. There were plans that the CT tester would upload any fault codes from the OBD socket, if they are no doing this then a faulty or missing airbag would generate a code even if someone had been clever enough to make the warning light function as it should.
Thanks LD I'll pass that on to the OH. Another question are airbags standard size or whatever you call them ie if the airbag needs replacing wont the garage here be able to supply and fit a new one. I know they want us to get the parts but I also know there is no way OH is going to go over to the UK to get an airbag! Sorry about my ignorance :roll: Mrs A.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:28 pm

They are usually vehicle specific, a question for you, why are the garage saying that you need a new airbag?

Has the old one deployed?

Are they saying its out of date?

Are they saying that their fault code reader shows a fault with the airbag and their solution is to replace it?

Be very wary if its either of the latter 2.

I have bills in the history file of my vehicle running into the thousands for air bag light resets, wiring checks, mods, airbags replaced etc, it was the reason they sold the vehicle. I too have been plagued with the same and after redoing all the bad bodges by the garage, finding that they had never actually replaced the airbag (passengers seat side airbag) resoldering the contacts on the control module I got fed up with it returning every few months, I know the airbag is functional, its resistance is correct, something along the way to the controller is randomly putting the resistance above the threshold momentarily, the solution was a shunt resistor of 20% of the airbag nominal resistance, cost less than a couple of centimes.

Archy

Post by Archy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:22 pm

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:28 pm
They are usually vehicle specific, a question for you, why are the garage saying that you need a new airbag?

Has the old one deployed?

Are they saying its out of date?

Are they saying that their fault code reader shows a fault with the airbag and their solution is to replace it?

Be very wary if its either of the latter 2.

I have bills in the history file of my vehicle running into the thousands for air bag light resets, wiring checks, mods, airbags replaced etc, it was the reason they sold the vehicle. I too have been plagued with the same and after redoing all the bad bodges by the garage, finding that they had never actually replaced the airbag (passengers seat side airbag) resoldering the contacts on the control module I got fed up with it returning every few months, I know the airbag is functional, its resistance is correct, something along the way to the controller is randomly putting the resistance above the threshold momentarily, the solution was a shunt resistor of 20% of the airbag nominal resistance, cost less than a couple of centimes.
LD, thanks for your reply. The service hasn't been done yet, at the moment all the garage wants is for Archy to get the parts for the service as they say they don't want to order them themselves but are more than willing to do the service and it's a garage he trusts and usually goes to for the Renault. Archy has been going through his manual and sorting out want needs to be checked & maybe replaced for a service according to the manual. Items include 2 airbag module replacements, 2 belts, Water pump, Tensioner, Plugs, Oil filter, Air filter, Fuel filter 2 seatbelt tensioners, 1 heater thermostat he's hazarding a guess on the thermostat - there still seems to be heat coming thro' even when the heater is not turned on. I think he's getting everything he can just in case something fails the test. The MG only has 8000 miles on the clock so possibly not a lot of wear of tear but then its knocking on abit in years! I think this new CT test has got him a tad worried. Sorry I think I've warbled on a bit & hope I make sense - don't like to see him worrying! Mrs A.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:33 pm

Its your choice Mrs A but I would say that 99% of owners would not replace their airbags because they are supposedly out of date and that would go for most garages also unless they were trying to extort the maximum money from someone.

Does not look like its the case in this instance and they may well be ambarrassed that you have paid out a huge amount of money on what to them would seem to be a misunderstanding.

The same will go for the seatbelt pretensioners, neither they or the airbags will fail a CT unless the warning lamp does not do as it should and/or a fault code if they are checking them yet.

The date coding of airbag components caused a furore when it started and was seen as a cynical excuse to screw money out of people for nothing or to force them to scrap vehicles, I'm not even sure they have anything other than a manufactured date now, I have never read of any accidents where the safety system did not work because of components beyond the questionable "replace before" date.

Your choice, maybe ask the garage?

Archy

Post by Archy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:33 pm
Its your choice Mrs A but I would say that 99% of owners would not replace their airbags because they are supposedly out of date and that would go for most garages also unless they were trying to extort the maximum money from someone.

Does not look like its the case in this instance and they may well be ambarrassed that you have paid out a huge amount of money on what to them would seem to be a misunderstanding.

The same will go for the seatbelt pretensioners, neither they or the airbags will fail a CT unless the warning lamp does not do as it should and/or a fault code if they are checking them yet.

The date coding of airbag components caused a furore when it started and was seen as a cynical excuse to screw money out of people for nothing or to force them to scrap vehicles, I'm not even sure they have anything other than a manufactured date now, I have never read of any accidents where the safety system did not work because of components beyond the questionable "replace before" date.

Your choice, maybe ask the garage?
Thanks LD, having had a little chat with him he's going to forget about airbags & the seatbelt tensioners, get the rest of the stuff and fingers crossed the necessary lights will play the game. I'll keep you posted and thanks again. Mrs A.

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:46 pm

mysty wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:29 pm
Mrs Archy, I have got some parts for your MG, cannot remember what. If they are any use to you you can have them.
I went through an MG fad in between the Alfa fad :lol:
Will post some pics when I dig them out.
From the gravel where you seem to keep most of your parts stock? :lol:
With inky blots and rotten parchment bonds: That England, that was wont to conquer others, Hath made a shameful conquest of itself”.
Shakespeare’s Richard II.

mysty

Post by mysty » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:55 pm

Fitter wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:46 pm
mysty wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:29 pm
Mrs Archy, I have got some parts for your MG, cannot remember what. If they are any use to you you can have them.
I went through an MG fad in between the Alfa fad :lol:
Will post some pics when I dig them out.
From the gravel where you seem to keep most of your parts stock? :lol:
A good mechanic has everything close by his work area, it saves time. You know nothing :lol:
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience