2018 Fiat Panda and Punto score zero stars on NCAP crash tests.

Fitter

2018 Fiat Panda and Punto score zero stars on NCAP crash tests.

Post by Fitter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:10 pm

Fiat plumbs the bottom of the crash test stats yet again - both the 2018 Panda and Punto score zero stars.

How come they are allowed to sell the things if they are as bad as Thatcham Research say they are?

With inky blots and rotten parchment bonds: That England, that was wont to conquer others, Hath made a shameful conquest of itself”.
Shakespeare’s Richard II.

Ally

Re: 2018 Fiat Panda and Punto score zero stars on NCAP crash tests.

Post by Ally » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:30 pm

I don't know.

mysty

Post by mysty » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:37 pm

The Panda was car of the year years ago. We looked at Fiats about a year ago as a cheap runabout but they looked very dated and felt tinny not that I am a car snob.
No surprise they did not do well in crash tests.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:05 am

Some sites say the Punto was withdrawn from sale last year, some say it's till current as the Evo.

As our local garage used to say:- Fix It Again Tomorrow

We've had two Fiats. An original 500 for Madame in the early 70's cost £40 - I think I wore out two sets of spanners on it.
It would probably be worth serious money nowadays as a classic.
And a new Seicento Sporting in the early 2000's again for Madame. Oil and coolant leaks, broken exhaust, power steering kept cutting out etc etc.
A local scroat put the window in and nicked the radio - I wish he had nicked the car and left the radio, it was the best part of the car :lol:
With inky blots and rotten parchment bonds: That England, that was wont to conquer others, Hath made a shameful conquest of itself”.
Shakespeare’s Richard II.

Spotty

Post by Spotty » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:36 am

I drove an original Punto once, just the once, someone had stolen its spirito :D
Tbf, it was a Spanish hire car.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:52 am

The Panda has slid from being a four star car to being a no star car because the goalposts have moved, not because it has suddenly become dangerous. I hope that FIAT will cure the fault that switches off the front passenger airbag if a child seat is placed in the rear seats as that is obviously a straightforward blip.
Personally I can say with absolute confidence that a FIAT, a Marea Weekend was one of the three best cars I have ever owned. It did everything it needed to do was great to drive, well specified and reliable. I owned it for eleven years and about 200,000 miles. Perhaps my criteria are different from others as a SAAB 900s and an Audi A4 2.5 V6 Tdi cabriolet are definitely in the bottom three. The FIAT exceeded my expectations, the other two disappointed beyond belief. They both had inbuilt faults that made them unpleasant to drive. I’m sure there are plenty of people who believe that the word SAAB is synonymous with safety yet I’ve rarely driven a car that was more likely to be involved in an accident because of its own shortcomings. I owned the Audi for a year then traded it in for a car that I still own today, 14 years later.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:03 am

DominicBest "I hope that FIAT will cure the fault that switches off the front passenger airbag if a child seat is placed in the rear seats as that is obviously a straightforward blip."

Two things Italian cars (and motorcycles) were always known for. Rust and electrical faults. They don't rust so bad these days but the electrics are still doubtful.

I once had an old style Panda 4x4 and thought it was a bit of a silly concept until the day I took it to the Beaulieu Boat Jumble where the car park is always a muddy quagmire. I waved regally to the people in their Range Rovers that were being towed out by the estate tractor. The little beast did what it said on the (rusty) tin.
Brexit [breg-zit, brek-sit] noun, The process where politicians and other lower life forms use democracy to perform the socio-economic destruction of a country.
see also Armageddon

Spotty

Post by Spotty » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:59 am

Aardvark wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:03 am
Two things Italian cars (and motorcycles) were always known for. Rust and electrical faults. They don't rust so bad these days but the electrics are still doubtful.
Back when I had bikes I nearly bought a Guzzi, I asked the seller if there were any issues & he said all the switches, which had been packed with Vaseline so they didn't fall apart, I bought a Honda CB750F2.

vic evans

Post by vic evans » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:54 pm

Spotty wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:59 am

Back when I had bikes I nearly bought a Guzzi, I asked the seller if there were any issues & he said all the switches, which had been packed with Vaseline so they didn't fall apart, I bought a Honda CB750F2.
A wise choice. :good:
I'm here to help where I can. The sarcasm & insults are just a complimentary service I provide.

mysty

Post by mysty » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:13 pm

Aardvark wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:03 am
DominicBest "I hope that FIAT will cure the fault that switches off the front passenger airbag if a child seat is placed in the rear seats as that is obviously a straightforward blip."

I once had an old style Panda 4x4 and thought it was a bit of a silly concept until the day I took it to the Beaulieu Boat Jumble where the car park is always a muddy quagmire. I waved regally to the people in their Range Rovers that were being towed out by the estate tractor. The little beast did what it said on the (rusty) tin.
The UK Alfas still rust some 2006 GTs now need welding to the jacking points. Electrics they have improved but plenty of 2008 spiders and159 that have parking sensors have problems with them coming on willy nilly :lol:
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience