New ‘peanut-shaped roundabout’

Fitter

New ‘peanut-shaped roundabout’

Post by Fitter » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:55 am

peanutroundabout.JPG
I wonder if the custom of signalling left when entering these roundabouts intending to go straight ahead will continue?
“He who controls the past, controls the future; and he who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell “1984”

After the Storm

Re: New ‘peanut-shaped roundabout’

Post by After the Storm » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:20 pm

A new roundabout has been built just outside Aubusson where there was previously a crossroads on which there had been a number of bad accidents including fatalities. The roundabout is huge to the point of being ridiculous and when you are on it by yourself with no other car in sight it does feel a little absurd and if you want to indicate going left then it’s on for a very, very long time.

Ally

Post by Ally » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:31 pm

Peanut shaped? Pee catcher shaped maybe.
These users thanked the author Ally for the post:
just a Frenchie (Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:48 pm)
Change must come.

Ally

Post by Ally » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:50 pm

Roundabouts like that are not rare. They're Tena penny.
These users thanked the author Ally for the post:
rabbit (Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:17 pm)
Change must come.

rabbit

Post by rabbit » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:20 pm

Ally wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:50 pm
Roundabouts like that are not rare. They're Tena penny.
Yes I’ve seen lots of them in continental Europe

jollyjack

Post by jollyjack » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:43 pm

@ally
@rabbit

:D

Spardo

Post by Spardo » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:25 pm

Fitter wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:55 am

I wonder if the custom of signalling left when entering these roundabouts intending to go straight ahead will continue?
It certainly does with me. The reason is twofold. It attempts to stop following drivers overtaking on my left and it informs drivers of joining roads whether I am staying on or taking their road as my exit.

Not always successful I might add but at least I've tried and I do always expect a numpty to ignore the signals so I am always alert to that possibility.

There is one south of Angouleme towards Perigueux at Ste. Catherine I think.

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:00 pm

Spardo wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:25 pm
Fitter wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:55 am

It certainly does with me. The reason is twofold. It attempts to stop following drivers overtaking on my left and it informs drivers of joining roads whether I am staying on or taking their road as my exit.

Not always successful I might add but at least I've tried and I do always expect a numpty to ignore the signals so I am always alert to that possibility.

There is one south of Angouleme towards Perigueux at Ste. Catherine I think.
I don't quite understand why you advise giving a misleading signal - ie signalling left intending to go straight on and leaving at the second exit - when you should be using the right-hand lane to go straight on?
“He who controls the past, controls the future; and he who controls the present, controls the past.”
George Orwell “1984”

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:16 am

Fitter wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:00 pm
I don't quite understand why you advise giving a misleading signal - ie signalling left intending to go straight on and leaving at the second exit - when you should be using the right-hand lane to go straight on?
If you intend leaving at the second exit, you signal left entering the roundabout and right just before the second exit, though I agree with you in using the right-hand lane.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Spardo

Post by Spardo » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:18 am

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:16 am
Fitter wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:00 pm
If you intend leaving at the second exit, you signal left entering the roundabout and right just before the second exit, though I agree with you in using the right-hand lane.
Exactly regarding the first part of your answer but the reason for using the right hand lane is that when you do exit you do not have to cross a lane on your blind side to do so.

Also from the right hand lane you have a much better view of anyone who, despite your left signal, is tempted to overtake you.

Also for heavy vehicles and those towing trailers there is some degree of cut in so a left signal from the right hand lane does tend to deter overtakers. Not always successful though, as any HGV driver will tell you, but at least you have a clearer view of those who ignore your signal.

I have said it before in a similar thread I don't think there should be lanes on roundabouts and it should be forbidden to overtake on them. The arguement against that is that it can cause bunching on the approaches if dual carriageways, but that is debunked as many roundabouts have a closed/hatched area on the left lane just before them so any bunching has already been done. Having done that though it is nonsense to, once you have done the hard bit of singling traffic, to then open up to 2 lanes on the roundabout itself.

2 points further. There are no 'straight ons' at roundabouts, only a series of exits. If we could get out of that mindset they would be a lot safer.

And to FFS, sorry about removing the like, I clicked it before I realised that you didn't totally agree with me. No offence intended. :oops: :)