Getting Pension at 60 - Carriere Longue

exile

Re: Getting Pension at 60 - Carriere Longue

Post by exile » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:15 pm

You are entitled to a pension according to the rules of the country/countries you have worked in

In my case I could claim German state pension at 63 but could not claim my UK pension until 65.

If you are working in France and can claim a pension then you get it. If it is the place of your residence and your last country of employment then the French state will claim your UK pension for you when it is due.

My case was a little different from most since I was living in France when I claimed my pensions none of which were French, and so I had to claim each individually.

Dilly

Post by Dilly » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:18 am

tim17 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:42 pm
A separate question, did you get a full pension at 62 and was that based on the French or UK pension rates?

I got a full French pension at 62. Well, I was 61 and 7 months as I was born in the transition period. I started working here in 1974, so I had the full number of trimestres in the French system.
The student jobs I did in the UK before coming to France weren't taken into consideration :(

Spardo

Post by Spardo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:23 pm

In my case someone asked Newcastle how many trimestres I had, added them to my French ones and gave me a French pension at 60.

I was flabbergasted because not only had I spent several years in OZ, mostly under the radar, but at a very low earning point in my life, early '80s, I got behind with both tax and SS contibutions. When I was called to a meeting I was told that I couldn't escape the tax but I could escape the SS in return for a reduced pension. So that is what I did.

So how they made all the trimestres that they did I don't know. Of course I protested. :roll: :oops:

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:34 pm

exile wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:15 pm
If you are working in France and can claim a pension then you get it. If it is the place of your residence and your last country of employment then the French state will claim your UK pension for you when it is due.
Do you mean that the French state will sort it out for you without you having to do anything yourself? It sounds a little too good to be true.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Spectre

Post by Spectre » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:23 pm

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:34 pm
exile wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:15 pm
Do you mean that the French state will sort it out for you without you having to do anything yourself? It sounds a little too good to be true.

That's the theory. The practise is that you have to fill in a form and send it to the France side and nothing seems to happen and then after several months you get fed up and call the works and pension people in the UK, who have suddenly discovered the paperwork and grace you with a backdated pension.

Who sat on the paperwork? I will never know. My advice is to just keep chasing both sides.

exile

Post by exile » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:54 pm

In my case there is no question it was the UK that took ages to process the pension request - around 4-5 months IIRC.

As said in theory once you have filled out the form it is supposed to work "automatically". There have been stories in the past of people who gave up and went to Newcastle directly, but did they realise they had to fill out the form?

I guess even in the UK you have to apply for your pension since it is possible to defer taking it.

Spectre

Post by Spectre » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:34 pm

TBF the retraite guy told me to remind them, not that you have to figure out the process. In France you have to keep your data and figure out how to get things done, don't expect it to happen for you.

Not for the faint-hearted.

The spell checker on here is a bit strange, can I change it?

v12mike
Has thanked: 0

Post by v12mike » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:29 pm

Spectre wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:34 pm

The spell checker on here is a bit strange, can I change it?

Any strangeness in spelling is local.

The spell checker on here is the one in your browser, the site doesn't have one.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:48 pm

You beat me to it, v12mike.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen