Tax d'hab and Fonciere

formagebleu

Tax d'hab and Fonciere

Post by formagebleu »

Is there anyone out there who might be paying the Taxe d'hab/Fonc from a UK bank ?

At best I dislike direct debits/standing orders, but feel very unsure about doing this in French via my French bank account. And it's difficult to know and understand the system and keep the account fed as we live in England,

And, I have not found the functionaires helpful but very fast to impose a penalty for a late payment on the Taxe Fonc when I had to phone for it as they had an old address (the taxe d'hab managed to send on time and to the correct address) AND La Poste was also on strike.

I feel it's might be better to pay these bills annually (although it's a huge amount nowadays) as monthly payments from the UK (2 banks charging for this) will increase the costs by quite a bit.

Anyone any idea please?

landmannnn

Re: Tax d'hab and Fonciere

Post by landmannnn »

I just pay them as a one off each year from my French account.
I can't see any benefit to paying monthly, you would be paying in advance.

Sidandus

Post by Sidandus »

We bank with CA in France. We manage that account so that EDF, SAUR, Orange and tax bills are paid from it. The utilities are all paid by monthly direct debit and we’ve never had any problems with it. Our tax bills are sent to our UK address and we pay them annually through our French account. For us, it’s the most hassle free system which has worked for us for nearly 10 years. If you don’t already have a French account, would it be worth considering once you can visit France again.

Woodbine

Post by Woodbine »

I pay these taxes as follows:
1 I use a standing order from my UK current acc to a UK savings acc to build up funds for annual tax payments
2 Just before taxes are due (around time bills arrive) I transfer funds from UK savings acc to French current acc (one off transfer fee)
3 I pay taxes online from French bank acc (I've not found a way to pay online directly from UK acc as French gouv site won't accept my UK bank details)

No doubt there are easier ways ... But this works for me

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

And it even more difficult for some from this year as they wont accept cheque payment above €300 although I bet if one arrived they would encaisse it.

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

Our two and energy bills etc are both paid directly from our CA bank account, into which my husband’s state pension is paid. Normally we have to top the account up, which has been via Caxton, but due to ill heath we haven’t spent as long as usual at our apartment.

So our CA balance has mounted up a lot; the last 2 years we’ve exchanged euros for sterling with our British neighbours for their visits to France via bank transfers. A good deal for both them and us.

formagebleu

Post by formagebleu »

Many thanks all

I have had a French bank account since 2006, but have only used it with DD/standing orders for house insurance and for Orange/FTel for the phone bill and internet when we had a landline/internet- now cancelled as these days we are more at home in England and only get to France about 3 times pa. I feed the French bank account from a UK bank account via a transfer when needed.

If the French tax authorities won't accept a DD or standing order from my UK bank I will then have to struggle to do it myself!
That's the problem -
the phone DD/SO was set up in the Orange/FT shop near our French home and I just signed where told. Likewise my bank arranged the house insurance DD/SO. Any other bills I send a cheque.

I agree paying it annually is sometimes better - but wonder if they still send out the bills? with the new system...
They sent me forms for the payment and I think I have to tell them how I shall pay, but I can't imagine how much post must be accumulating in the tax offices at present with the virus! Wish I could email the forms.
Thanks again!

Simonflys

Post by Simonflys »

[text translated from link provided below]

Online payment is accessible on the site www.impots.gouv.fr, from your online account or via the direct online payment service by providing your tax notice and a RIB but also from your smartphone or tablet via the Impots.gouv application (downloadable for free from Google Play, App Store or Windows store) in the "pay my taxes" section.

To pay online, you must have a bank account domiciled in France or in the 33 countries that make up the SEPA zone (the 28 member countries of the European Union as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Monaco, the Republic of San Marino, the Principality of Andorra and the Vatican City State (Holy See)) and your bank must also adhere to the applicable European interbank rules for each means of payment .

https://www.impots.gouv.fr/portail/inte ... -payer-mes

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

The problem with that Simon is to create a gouv fr account you have to do a French tax return and then wait a year for the 2nd avis for your id number.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

And even then it won't let you pay if the délai has passed often before you get the bills. Then the only option is by cheque which if over €300 they refused in the first place.