Lupus or rheumatoid arthritis

Post Questions & Find Info On: Doctors, Dentists, Hospitals, Health Insurance, Social Security, Care for the Elderly, etc.
manonthemoon

Lupus or rheumatoid arthritis

Post by manonthemoon » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:21 pm

I wonder if any members have either of these debilitating diseases, which I know are auto immune.

I've just had a blood test, still waiting for the RF result but something called anti corps nuclear is marked as positive.

I just have some questions if anyone has these please could they PM me?

Thanks

lindal1000

Re: Lupus or rheumatoid arthritis

Post by lindal1000 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:30 pm

I have mixed connective tissue disorder, which is very similar to lupus and in fact my rheumatologist wasn't really sure whether it was Lupus or not. it is a very rare disorder and so I read about it a lot, so please feel free to message me. I would have messaged you directly but I don't seem to be able to do this from this computer.

Catrose

Re: Lupus or rheumatoid arthritis

Post by Catrose » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:46 pm

I have rheumatoid arthritis, and am a “helping hand” for the national charity so quite well travelled...

A positive ANA can be implicated in a number of different auto-immune diseases, but depending on the level can also mean very little. Same with the RF test as it is not very sensitive so you can have a positive result and be totally fit and well.

Diagnosis of these diseases is a bit of a detective story, as doctor will look at blood work, physical symptoms, family history, how you feel, etc. A blood test alone isn’t enough to be sure about anything. So you could have nothing....but if you feel you have physical symptoms then it could well be something! There are around 100 different types, so try to be patient.