care home fees in the Gers

Post Questions & Find Info On: Doctors, Dentists, Hospitals, Health Insurance, Social Security, Care for the Elderly, etc.
PatF

care home fees in the Gers

Post by PatF » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:24 pm

I thought some 'seniors' on here might be interested in this:
https://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2018/1 ... -cher.html
I've no idea how prices compare to other depts, or with the UK .
Hope and pray we don't have to use their facilities.

Headers

Re: care home fees in the Gers

Post by Headers » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:43 pm

My mother in law has just moved into a care home (requires nursing care) in the U.K. 1100 per week. Her monthly pension pays for 1 weeks lodgings per month. Her savings are paying for the rest. We are waiting to see if she is entitled to any non means tested benefit. So French carehomes are an absolute bargain by comparison.

Franksgranny

Post by Franksgranny » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:40 pm

Yes this is a sensitive subject, no one wants to think they may end up needing care from others, but sadly often it turns out that they do. My husband and sister agreed to put their mother in a home, it was really good, but I have no doubt it hastened her end, I now share care for my 99 year old dad, it would be a last resort for me, but that day may come. I've always felt that the cared for drain the strength of the carer, I'm feeling particularly tired today.

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:44 pm

My mum had been in an assisted living home for nearly 3 years. The council paid for some of the bill and mum paid some from her pension. The care was appalling and mum resulted in 3 A&E trips, one for dehydration and 2 from falls. The last fall she laid on the floor for just over 3 hours before being found.

Fortunately apart from malnutrition and dehydration she hadn't broken anything. She hadn't been taking medications including heart pills.

She was assessed by adult social care and it was agreed she needed a proper care package including help with eating, drinking and medication. She has vascular dementia, although still "with it", she just repeats things over and over.

A few weeks on and she's better in health but still complains about everything. She has to pay all her pension £1,000 a month and the council assist with the shortfall.

At least we know she is being looked after now.

mysty

Post by mysty » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:02 pm

Headers wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:43 pm
My mother in law has just moved into a care home (requires nursing care) in the U.K. 1100 per week. Her monthly pension pays for 1 weeks lodgings per month. Her savings are paying for the rest. We are waiting to see if she is entitled to any non means tested benefit. So French carehomes are an absolute bargain by comparison.
That is a lot of money is it a nice home.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:47 am

Franksgranny wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:40 pm
Yes this is a sensitive subject, no one wants to think they may end up needing care from others, but sadly often it turns out that they do. My husband and sister agreed to put their mother in a home, it was really good, but I have no doubt it hastened her end, I now share care for my 99 year old dad, it would be a last resort for me, but that day may come. I've always felt that the cared for drain the strength of the carer, I'm feeling particularly tired today.
I often think that people don’t understand or realise how much carers take on, not just physically but also mentally. Sadly our loved ones can often change character that others aren’t aware of, so they can’t see or appreciate the stress it can cause for the carer.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

Joinfrance

Post by Joinfrance » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:55 am

I looked after my mum with Alzheimer’s for 4 years.
At the end I knew that if I didn’t put her into care I could not guarantee that I wouldn’t do her an injury. It was the best thing I did, she loved it, but it meant that her house, where I lived, had to be sold to pay for the care. Which is why I am in France. ( I decided I preferred to be homeless and unemployed here rather than the U.K.)
I know I am beginning to lose the plot, so will probably need to go into care at some point, but I don’t have the wherewithal and no family to look out for me, so I’m not looking forward to it...
These users thanked the author Joinfrance for the post (total 2):
Nifty (Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:58 am) • Le Démerdeur (Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:25 am)
Rating: 22.22%

Headers

Post by Headers » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:57 am

Mysty, the care home is the best in the local area. We did research using the cqc reports and local people know it well. Other members of the family have been to visit and say it’s lovely. Social services weren’t keen (but capitulated after a lot of discussion ) because of the high cost. I now have to work out how to sell the flat or release funds from it. But that’s a job for the NEW year.

vic evans
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by vic evans » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:48 am

I think I'd prefer Dignitas to being a burden on anyone but by the time I got to that stage it would probably be too late to do anything about it.
The thought of being in a care home appals me but if my old mum is anything to go by I wouldn't know or care where I was.
What a bugger old age can be.