AUTUN - Bourgogne

A place to discuss and ask questions about moving to France.
Or moving from one region of France to another
Lemorvan

Re: AUTUN - Bourgogne

Post by Lemorvan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:19 am

Loup-garou wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 am
Does anybody have any views, opinions or other stuff worth mentioning about Autun. We are thinking about a property there - haven't found it yet but it must be inside the city.

I would also welcome any "must visit" places or good restaurant recommendations in or around the city.

Many thanks in advance.
Hi Loup-garou as mentioned earlier in the thread I've been in the Autun area for around 13 years now though not permanently (5 months per year), there are too many places in the world to visit to stay in one place. Autun itself has all the amenities you would probably require, plenty of shops including little independent ones, a decent twice weekly market smaller one on the Wednesday much larger one on Friday. A great deal of cultural and historical stuff to visit and partake in. I myself am very interested in Gallo Roman history and architecture and the whole area especially the nearby Morvan region is very central to a number of Gallo Roman sites, Alesia for example https://www.alesia.com/ and Bibracte https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibracte
Autun was named after Emperor Augustus lots of Roman remnants to see including museums etc.
Best restaurants in the area, Le monde De Don Cabillaud, fantastic fish only 2 starters and two or three mains plus dessert. Good price quality ratio Burgundian restos are Restaurant des Remparts and Restaurant Le Chateaubriant. You also have the usual 13/14 euro menus in various restaurants but frankly they are just industrial dross. Le Commerce whilst having a good location in the centre only delivers microwaved quiches and bits of meat with tired salad leaves. Dining around the Cathedral area in the evening is very pleasant with a very atmospheric ambiance.
Let me know if there is anything specific you'd information on.
These users thanked the author Lemorvan for the post:
Loup-garou (Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:22 pm)

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:50 pm

Thanks Lemorvan and Tom that's really quite positive. :good:

I'm busy looking through immobilier's sites at the moment (they all seem to carry the same houses). It's been so long since we bought this place I've forgotten the best way forward.

Thanks also for the offer of further specific info, I'm sure I'll need some help.

Lemorvan

Post by Lemorvan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:36 am

Loup-garou wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 am

Does anybody have any views, opinions or other stuff worth mentioning about Autun.
https://www.skaping.com/autun/panorama
Im trying to attach a newspaper article relating to this link but the attachment is too big.

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:06 pm

Thank you Lemorvan. I followed the link to the Agenda and saw what Is going on in the rest of July and August.

Lamentably, the internet runs on steam in our village so, if it takes you a long time to load something, it will take days to load it here.

Well, plenty to do - just need a house now!