buying a property that sits between two farms

A place to discuss and ask questions about moving to France.
Or moving from one region of France to another
Nifty

Re: buying a property that sits between two farms

Post by Nifty » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:26 am

DominicBest wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:52 am
Nifty wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:51 am
DominicBest wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:50 pm
I live next to a farm where they keep horses and cows and an arable farmer grows crops about 50 metres away. No problems at all, just part of countryside living.
What about all those noisy tractors shattering the rural ideal?
It’s just background noise, the worst comes from the skies, fast jets and stunt planes but hardly something to worry about. When I do, occasionally hear the machinery early on a dark, cold, wet morning it’s just a reminder about just how hard they have to work.
Most people seem to have a problem. Mine is lexdisia, of coarse, I meant idyll.
As for stunt planes, the previous owner of our place was a pilot de chase, and, it seems, he would use the house as some sort of navigational marker on low-level exercises. Thankfully they are not that frequent.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:38 am

This is really worth a post of its own.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46371208

Nifty

Post by Nifty » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:53 am

Fair Warning

> 20 years ago I lived in a Devon village where the local farmers answer to newbies who

objected to ‘bad smells’ was to activate a muckspreader as they passed by their house.

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:46 am

We have a dairy farm close behind us. When we first moved here, there was a fly problem - big black blowflies - we called them "cow's arse flies". The house had some flyscreens on the windows so we added more to be able to have windows open in summer without the flies getting in. Then the farm had a big refurb and the cow slurry is now collected in a big covered silo as opposed to just chucking it in a smelly pond - new regulations. Since then the flies are not a big problem, the odd small house fly gets in, dealt with by the fly papers.
With inky blots and rotten parchment bonds: That England, that was wont to conquer others, Hath made a shameful conquest of itself”.
Shakespeare’s Richard II.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:24 am

[quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46371208
[/quote]

Strange, the sound of cow bells have the completely opposite effect on me, I love the sound. I would suggest that their depression is due to something else entirely. Maybe the inability to work out that it might be better to just move to somewhere less rural perhaps? That sounds less stressful than the path they have chosen to take and then they could just get on with their lives living happily somewhere else. Is that solution just too simple?
Brexit = ExBrit

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:31 am

Every year I stop the car when passing by through a particular valley in the Cantal just to listen to the gentle background music played by the cows grazing nearby.