How to learn French

A place to discuss and ask questions about moving to France.
Or moving from one region of France to another
Mrs Archy

Re: How to learn French

Post by Mrs Archy »

This came through on my email yesterday! May be of some help Sidandus?

https://www.frenchtoday.com/blog/french ... njugation/
‘I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls’

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Simonflys wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:19 am
landmannnn wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:45 pm
In reality in everyday English there is no difference. People interchange them and 99% of the population would say they meant the same thing.
Absolutely @landmannnn! :good: Can I..... ? / May I..... ? Completely interchangeable as are many other verb forms in regular daily use. Sometimes context needs to come into play for clarity - that's all.

Whatever happens in your language learning attempts, just make absolutely sure to steer clear of that pesky 1% who MAY/ CAN be anally retentive and put you right off! :roll:
Agree with above, the distinction between them is very subtle. Can is used in two ways. To discover if someone or thing has the ability eg can he cook well, can the car seat 5 people? The other meaning is to ask permission- like puis-je. May is a slightly more formal way of asking permission more akin to pourrais-je. But as already mentioned many Brits use them interchangeably.
Don’t fall into the current UK import from the USA of “can I get” Eg can I get a coffee? Instead of “may I have a coffee

Sidandus

Post by Sidandus »

Mrs Archy wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:25 am
This came through on my email yesterday! May be of some help Sidandus?

https://www.frenchtoday.com/blog/french ... njugation/
Thank you Mrs Archy. I’ve saved this on my IPad too investigate later :good:

PatF

Post by PatF »

Such an interesting thread.
But as I've said before, we don't just need to be able to speak in a conversation. We need to listen to them and understand them. My weakest point as I'm a bit deaf.
Also read and write in french. I still enjoy reading french books and newspapers. My written french used to be ok but I've lost it now.
I don't think I would have passed the the language test for french citizenship.
ps and I think we women are less self conscious about making mistakes than you men.

just a Frenchie

Post by just a Frenchie »

PatF wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:23 pm
I think we women are less self conscious about making mistakes than you men.
From my experience of life:

Article 1 : Women never make mistakes

Article 2 : If you think that a woman has made a mistake, refer to Article 1 which prevails... :D
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Just to revert to the dreaded subjunctive, I heard last night the following lyrics in a song: Où que tu sois et où que tu ailles, je serais là. Without some knowledge of certain simple subjunctive forms, a lot of English-speaking learners of French would come unstuck on that sentence.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:08 pm
Just to revert to the dreaded subjunctive, I heard last night the following lyrics in a song: Où que tu sois et où que tu ailles, je serais là. Without some knowledge of certain simple subjunctive forms, a lot of English-speaking learners of French would come unstuck on that sentence.
Bryan Adams?
Same old nonsense.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Flaneur wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:37 pm
FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:08 pm
Bryan Adams?
It wasn't Bryan Adams in French and I can't remember even hearing the name of the song, it was just that phrase that leapt out at me, and I'm not even sure of the last three words.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen