selling in France

A place to discuss and ask questions on all aspects of selling a property in France.
DominicBest

Re: selling in France

Post by DominicBest » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:03 am

My aunt had a house with sea views in Poole. To see the sea you had to climb up a ladder through a loft hatch in the master bedroom that lead to a small observation platform on the roof. From there you could see the sea but to be honest there wasn’t much of it and it was a long way away.

Loiseau

Post by Loiseau » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:53 am

formagebleu wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:33 am
Not forgetting the depressing thought that after 13 years of plenty spending, labour and a lot of effort will be dumped and wasted as we will not get any of our spending back. And that's another issue if we were to get it back as they would tax that too. Not so in the UK. ....
Actually, FB, assuming this is a second home, you WOULD have been taxed in the UK on any profit!
I recently sold a French holiday home that - because I had owned it for 25+ years - did not incur French capital gains. But it did back home! And with no taper relief to compensate for general increase in property values over the years. Fortunately, I had kept every artisan bill in a huge box file and was able to set them all against the "profit", which helped, but it still cost me a few thou’.

alittlebitmorefrench
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by alittlebitmorefrench » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:13 pm

formagebleu wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:33 am

Not forgetting the depressing thought that after 13 years of plenty spending, labour and a lot of effort will be dumped and wasted as we will not get any of our spending back. And that's another issue if we were to get it back as they would tax that too. Not so in the UK.

Odd that property in rural France is just a bottomless pit with administrative hassle eg fosse inspections, changes in how to pay the annual tax and more...

We now regret buying in France- sadly...
'Rural' France you mean.

In terms all the bad experiences you describe it is not really like that in 'normal' France.

I have said this many times over but people just call me childish.

The bargains that you seem in terms of prices in rural France are not bargains. They will work out more expensive in the long run.

If you choose to buy a property in rural France...it is for life. That is what people need to understand.