House Sold - Need a moving company to UK

A place to discuss and ask questions on all aspects of selling a property in France.
Hal

Re: House Sold - Need a moving company to UK

Post by Hal » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:23 pm

Now Retired wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:49 pm
. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas for transporting 40 cubic metres or more. Are there any good removal firms ?
As PatF noted - the quotes will be lower if the transporters have a guaranteed 'return' load. Many transporters use 'Uship' for this. It is an online service that is in effect a notice board. Post all the details, including preference for professional removal service etc, and wait and see if anyone is interested. You are not obliged to take any quote, but if you do, there is a small commission to Uship. I have used them several times for cars, a boat once and some furniture collections.

Now Retired

Post by Now Retired » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:21 pm

I'll try and remember that if there's a next time. I'm not sure about a next time just yet though. Even though the whole process has been relatively straightforward, little or sometimes larger roadblocks have often been put in the way.

The latest ? I need to get back in a week or so to check out the house, clear the last few items by car and visit the Notaire's office for the signing. No problem except for now the fuel refineries being blockaded and then an indefinite general strike starting on 5th. Some things I just won't miss about France !

It's seriously putting into doubt the idea of returning one day - there are plenty of other places in the world. (Tin hat on and preparing for the flak.)

bluebird

Post by bluebird » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:24 pm

Now Retired wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:21 pm
I'll try and remember that if there's a next time. I'm not sure about a next time just yet though. Even though the whole process has been relatively straightforward, little or sometimes larger roadblocks have often been put in the way.

The latest ? I need to get back in a week or so to check out the house, clear the last few items by car and visit the Notaire's office for the signing. No problem except for now the fuel refineries being blockaded and then an indefinite general strike starting on 5th. Some things I just won't miss about France !

It's seriously putting into doubt the idea of returning one day - there are plenty of other places in the world. (Tin hat on and preparing for the flak.)
No tin hat needed. There are lot's of nice places in the world to live :good:

Loiseau

Post by Loiseau » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:32 pm

Glad the remove went smoothly, NR. I hope you have left a dustpan and brush to sweep the last crumbs away before the signing.
These users thanked the author Loiseau for the post:
Now Retired (Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:21 pm)

Now Retired

Post by Now Retired » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks for the tip. In addition we've got a vacuum cleaner, Flash, floor mop and a small selection of tools. We've even got a few plates, a frying pan and cooking pot. We're preparing for an extended stay owing to the general strike - we must get there before it. I hope I won't need a step ladder or drill because although I now have two of everything it's all in London.

What goes around comes around - eh. 15 or more years ago we arrived at the house with a car load of stuff and 'camped' in the house for a while. Yes, on real camp beds. The Sky TV dish was temporarily fixed up on an old wooden stepladder on the patio and the first meal was in MacDonalds at 10.30pm. (the only place open).

Next week we'll be 'camping' again with a bare minimum of stuff and taking it all back in one car load.

PatF

Post by PatF » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:04 pm

Wishing you well with the cleanup. We left a lot of stuff behind (including a cat, and chickens) which luckily the buyers had agreed to keep.
Probably already mentioned - did you know that you can give the notaire power of attorney to sign on your behalf? As long as you're fairly sure the signing will be straightforward.

Loiseau

Post by Loiseau » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:23 pm

You may need to ring the water and electricity suppliers with your final readings.
My hyper-efficient estate agent turned up before the time of the signing, took the readings and handed me a piece of paper on which she had noted readings, my references, and the phone numbers of the relevant suppliers.
I called them both immediately after the sale, plus France Telecom for the phone line, and all was sorted.

Spardo

Post by Spardo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:38 pm

PatF wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:04 pm

Probably already mentioned - did you know that you can give the notaire power of attorney to sign on your behalf? As long as you're fairly sure the signing will be straightforward.
That's what happened when we bought here, never saw or had any contact with the vendor at all. :)

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:41 am

Now Retired wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:21 pm

Of course these strikes and things never happen in the U.K. do they.
South Western Railway strike: 27-day walk out begins https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50614066

Now Retired

Post by Now Retired » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:32 pm

" Of course these strikes and things never happen in the U.K. do they. "

We know it's relatively rare in UK. Tell me when was the last General Strike in UK ? When was the last blockade of fuel depots in UK ? A. 1997/98. When was the last time trucks blockaded motorways in UK ? When did farmers (?) last set fire to piles of tyres on motorways in UK ? When did weekly, usually on Saturdays, did the UK need police and troops on the streets of the capital city to quell riots and try to minimise damage to innocent people's shops and businesses

This is France nowadays - get real, believe it.