Property search & handholding agents

Questions about where to look for property.
The buying process etc.
Le Démerdeur

Property search & handholding agents

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:38 pm

Best title that i could think of but doesn't really cover the situation that I will describe.

Who in France is legally authorised to sell a property for the owner, that is to say to market it, find and introduce a buyer and charge a commission or fee, in addition to that offering the handholding/translation service but my question is not regarding the handholding but of the legality of effectively acting as an immobilière without being one.

The agents in the title usually work the other way, finding properties for a buyer and taking a cut from the agency fees I believe.

I believe that only a registered immo or Notaire can market a property for the owner, the owner themselves can place ads like on Leboncoin but what if a non registered 3rd party does it for them for a percentage of the sales price, is that legal or as I suspect very much illegal?

I know somebody going down this route and I want to be sure before I tell them my feelings, the person who is acting as a go between putting this pseudo agent in touch with the seller has said that they want nothing to do with it after the initial introduction to be kept out of it and to stay well away which further reinforces my conviction that its a really dodgy practice, I can see that the seller does not have a lot of choice but my fear is that they will be judged to be the guilty party not the pseudo agent, rather like employing someone on the black.

What are your thoughts or knowledge please?

Le Démerdeur

Re: Property search & handholding agents

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:46 pm

I should add because it was not clear, the pseudo agent will be doing the whole thing not just placing the adverts, they will do the viewings, instruct the Notaire, organise the diagnostiques and do the translating for the seller who is not in France, they will with a procuration sign the compromis & acte de vente & deal with the buyer, basically everything that someone like Leggets would do for an absentee owner seller except run away with the whole sale proceeds which is a niggling suspicion that I have.

And finally what percentage would Leggets charge for the above? - legal but probably equally dodgy :lol:
Last edited by Le Démerdeur on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:47 pm

And no, it wont be me, tempting as easy money sounds I know France too well!

mysty

Post by mysty » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:54 pm

There are all kind of legal setups now, like working along side an agent, working under an agents CP.
If they are getting a commission from a notaire they will be legal.
Best ask what their setup is.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:44 pm

I'm going to follow the lead of the Indian guy who knows exactly the score and keep well out of it :D

They are not working with anyone, just exploiting a situation where the Immos and Notaires wont deal with the seller because they dont speak French and the seller cannot come to France.

They definitely are not a company or AE either, its a cash behind closed doors job, no reciepts no contract.

I will get to know whats going on though.

What is CP?

I didnt think Notaires made enough after the government fees are taken out to pay anyone a commission, they are free to drop their prices now but none around here will.

I have often wondered if they get some retro-commission from the government on all the taxes collected.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:16 pm

CP = carte professionnelle
These users thanked the author After the Storm for the post:
Le Démerdeur (Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:44 pm)
In the parallel universe inhabited by Brexiteers rationality and logic are increasingly inverted if not outright subverted.