Buying Pre Brexit

Questions about where to look for property.
The buying process etc.
JohnnyD

Re: Buying Pre Brexit

Post by JohnnyD » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 pm

All very useful info again, thank you, my thread seems to be widening in subject sorry. To widen it further, does anyone know, if I buy a wood burner in the UK to bring out, are flue sizes the same as UK? I think my stove here in the UK is a Franco belge which is French I believe?

JD

mysty

Post by mysty » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:20 pm

I know people who sell wood burners in the UK who deliver to France, so there will be no issues.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

bluebird

Post by bluebird » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:06 pm

JohnnyD wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:38 am
Thats a good reason then :)

Just finding out a few things since the offer was accepted, I thought we were getting a big gain with the house having an oil fired CH system, but just looked at CH oil prices and its a bit pricey in France, then I find out oil CH seems frowned upon in France. Should we be looking to replace that and if so what with? Solar/wind/Ground Source HP .......

We will fit a wood burner in the living room I think, and live with the oil CH for now, but looking ahead.

JD
The French gov't would no doubt like people to move away from dirty oil, for environmental reasons. Also it's very expensive. I noticed that alot of people are now opting for gas, since the Boilers are cleaner, cheaper, smaller and easier to maintain. Some towns have piped gas, but alternatively, if your garden is accessible from the street, you can have a refillable gas tank installed.

exile

Post by exile » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 pm

But non-mains gas is one of the most expensive ways of heating a house in France. Oil is (I think) still marginally less expensive than mains electricity. Wood remains the cheapest but is labour intensive and cannot easily be lit prior to your arrival to your home. So you arrive to a cold house. Wood pellets are better but do not kid yourself how environmentally friendly they are. The majority are still shipped from Canada. Mains gas is relatively cheap but generally not available in rural France.

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:21 pm

Has anyone here had a ground source heat pump installed?

Noisette

Post by Noisette » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:24 pm

Yes...we went for a 'geothermique' system for heating and hot water. It's fairly economical to run, very clean and no work involved! But very expensive to install, so only really viable as an original installation, not a replacement. Requires a very well-insulated house, takes up a lot of land and is rather unresponsive to temperature fluctuations. Slow to heat up and cool down. Reliant on electricity and electricity price hikes. You would need a woodburner as back-up anyway, to cover for power cuts.
Be alert.....your country needs lerts!

exile

Post by exile » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:16 am

To be fair Noisette, I think many would need a wood burner back up irrespective of what system they have. Most wet systems need an electric pump. The truth is that certainly in rural France power outages are common. It is in sharp comparison with the ho-ha in the UK due to a 30 minute outage last Friday. We have suffered half a dozen outages since then - some for only seconds, others for a couple of minutes. None of ourse with any influence on keeping the house warm but I would bet that in a year we are well in excess of 10 times the UK outage last week. We have had significant outages that would have had an impact on keeping warm as well though thankfully less infrequent.